1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tom Durie 1614 New from United Empire Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Michaelminiatures, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Hi,

Tom Durie 1614
    Just finished this nice bust my new painted figure. This 1/9 scale resin bust, sculpted by Pavol Ovecka is of Tom Durie 1614. Jester to Anne of Denmark wife of British King James VI and I. The bust is based on the painting of Durie in the Scottish National Portrait Museum. I painted this bust with acrylics and printers inks. The bust is a new release from www.Unitedempireminiatures.com and I painted it for the box art photos.During his lifetime Tom Durie was considered the luckiest man alive.

Tom Durie 1614
    Jester to Anne of Denmark
    1/9 scale resin bust
    Sculpted by: Pavol Ovecka
    Box art painted by: Mike Cramer
    Item: PO17
    www.unitedempireminiatures.com

Attached Files:

Jeff T, myouchin, Edorta and 10 others like this.
  2. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautifully painted Mike! The blending is superb.

Great job,
    Ken
  3. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Great paintjob there Mike! I particularly like the chalice. What did you use to paint that?

Jason
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Amazing paintwork.

Marc
  5. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ken, Thanks Marc, Thanks Jason.
    Jason I painted the cup black with Vallejo, then painted liquitex ink silver over the entire surface, several coats with plenty of drying time between. Then Andrea printers ink black very thin washes to build up shadow and reduce the shine. Also washes of Andrea ink green, blue and some red. On the shadows washes of liquitex raw umber. Once it looks like I want I use a very thin Vallejo silver wash in the areas I want to shine also makes the surface look more metal like. The Liquitex is sold at Hobby Lobby. I like it because the printers inks take to it without beading up. The chalice is filled with red wine I used Vallejo still water tinted with printers ink. The still water shrinks so I had to add more. This was a fun one to paint and I did have to paint and assemble as I went better results but a little tricky as I had to putty around the left hand after painting. Learned it’s not so bad as long as I was careful.
    Hope this helps
    Mike
    JGREEN and KenBoyle like this.
  6. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the info Mike! The finish you achieved really looks like pewter. I may have to try the Liquitex.

Jason
  7. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautifully done Mike!

That is superb work.

Cheer’s,
    Jeff.
  8. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jeff!
    tomifune likes this.