1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Toilet Reading

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by johnegert, Dec 6, 2003.

1. johnegert New Member

In my ongoing effort to make Amazon stock a bit more attractive, I just received a copy of " Samurai-- The World of the Warrior" by Stephen Turnbull. My hope was to find some acorn of info that would save my butt in the aforementioned Aitna project-- at first I was dissapointed. This Osprey hardbound has 220 pages of historical material, a color or b&w photo on nearly every page, and the weight of Turnbull's considerable expertise. It does not follow the familiar Osprey pattern( cf "The Samurai"--Osprey #23) of concentrating on photos and artwork of equipment. Then I realized that I was doing what I have railed against for years--- looking for a quick Osprey fix, just find a "nice" picture, and rip it off. Now , if ever there was a figure genre that has an infinitely extensive contemporary record of artistic depictions, it has to be the samurai. So why am I not going to these primary sources?---- lazy. So, we have two choices--- Google or Quangle. Are you out there, braniac? What were those beautiful sites we used to drool over?
    But back to this book.... It's a handsome presentation by a proven expert, and I intend to actually READ the damn thing! At 30 bucks U.S., discounted by Amazon, this is a worthy addition to any library.
    john
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello John,
    I also have a Stephen Turnball Samurai book intitled "Samurai Warlords" The Book of the Daimyo, by Blandford press. Was wondering if they were one in the same? I purchased it several years ago when I bought the Poste Militaire range of Samurai figures. If your is a different book, then I will have to contact Amazon and acquire one as well.

guy
  3. MSzwarc New Member

John,

Along with a couple Osprey titles, I have Turnbull's The Book of the Samurai and The Samurai Sourcebook. These two books make a nice complement to each other in that The Book of the Samurai is lavishly illustrated with Japanese artwork, photos, and maps, and The Samurai Sourcebook takes a more encyclopedic approach with sections on the samurai families, armor and weapons, strategy and tatics, and battles and sieges.

I noticed that Osprey just released this new title, and plan to add it to my collection. Turnbull's books are well worth the read (y) .

Mike
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the link John (y)