1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

To the Brits...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Larry Esposito, Mar 18, 2016.

1. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Which also translates in the far north as

"Hawd yer whisht ye mash basta else algiye a slapinnagrid
    orra punchun yerpuss'

When visiting cheerful old Liverpool by the way, It is advisable to be cautious of your method of reply too the pub quiz.
    Q1. Yor not from roundere areyez lad?
    2 Youz torkin tamee fella?
    3 You tink yor reeely sum'n don'ya.
    4 D'ya wanna go outside lad?

Whilst this simple quiz is easily solved with simple replies, be careful and smile a lot.

The best local replies to all of these questions is either:-
    "Beeyave soft lad and gerruz a bevvy".
    Meaning
    "I truly am your chum and I will enjoy you buying me a beer".
    OR:-
    "Ay you.....'av a walk down the pier head till yerrat floats ya divvy".
    meaning
    "I shall now administer violence upon your person".

It's still a great night out though, because the girls all shout
    " Pakkirrin....We've all had a drink he is not worth it."
    And everyone drinks until another stranger walks in.

Paul.
    Huw63 and Helm like this.
  2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So fits oors then . Roamin in the glommin
    Huw63 and peedee like this.
  3. Paul, your quiz reminds me of the old sierra graphic adventure games where the text parser whould let you respond via multiple choice. Someone should program one of these with Liverpool dialect. That would be a blast, and a hard-as hell puzzler!
    Huw63 and peedee like this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Arr goway lad, dats dead eezee dat lad.

Av got noweyedeer what yer hackshurely said like reeeely mayt, burrawoz brort up buy me mam tabee dead polite anthat yer know so iss gorrabee no biggee noworrameeyun?
    Anyway am gonna do one 'cos me mams got caik

Later scone 'ead.

Paul.
    Larry Esposito and Huw63 like this.
  5. amazingly, capisci!
    peedee likes this.
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I think Paul (Peedee), would get along just fine in our deep south.

Joe
    peedee and Larry Esposito like this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Have any of you seen that movie titled 'Snatch' with Brad Pitt?

We had to watch it with sub titles because we couldn't understand what the Pikeys were saying, but it was hilariously funny!

Think I'll watch it again :)!

Joe
  8. Joe, i'm sure you can relate...Most every American was forced to read Tom Sawyer and/or Huck Finn in grammar school. Pages and pages of dialogue written in down south lingo from his black friend, would make your head spin. Getting a headache just thinking about it.
    Joe55 and peedee like this.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Guys there is a writer by the name of Kevin Samson who wrote a Merseyside gangster novel.
    Each chapter was voiced in local dialect by a different character.. It was only at the end of the book I realised the guy was clever enough to have written such localised idioms into the dialogue that I knew where they where from, and he didn't need to describe who was the posh boy or the one from the rough neighbourhood, it was in their speech pattern.
    But to do that for eight characters was remarkable.

Paul
    Joe55 and Huw63 like this.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Pretty straightforward......... Aye tae three o' them, Naw tae wan.
    Although in Q2 you could substitute 'when ah'm done wae yer maw' for Aye
    peedee and Huw63 like this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Y'all aint too wrong pilgrim,
    long as I git me sum silver dust hooks on the back of
    ma boots, an' a $25 stetson on ma 10c head.
    I ain't no more trouble than a full bellied possum on a hot day. I ain't hornery.
    Y'all come by agen I'll set up the sipping bottle fer you folks.
    Paul.
    Larry Esposito, Huw63 and Joe55 like this.
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    :ROFLMAO:
    You would be a sight to behold!

Oh, and its a $50 dollar Stetson. We ain't cheap when it comes to our sombreros!

Joe
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

A scouser in a Stetson. Whatever next ????
    Joe55 likes this.
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    You have a point there Larry. I used the Cliff Notes!

Try reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in old English :eek:!

Joe
    Larry Esposito likes this.
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    You got me! What's a scouser?

Joe
    Huw63 likes this.
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

A Scouser is a right herbert from Liverpool.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    See under scallywag
    peedee and Range Rat like this.
  18. Now I feel like watching the Beverly Hillbillies!
  19. Don't forget Limey, cause them blokes suck them to keep the scurvy at bay.
  20. I got curious about the origin of Yankee. This is cool, since I'm from Connecticut.

1683, a name applied disparagingly by Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut. It may be from Dutch Janke, literally "Little John," diminutive of common personal name Jan; or it may be from Jan Kes familiar form of "John Cornelius," or perhaps an alteration of Jan Kees, dialectal variant of Jan Kaas, literally "John Cheese," the generic nickname the Flemings used for Dutchmen.
    t is to be noted that it is common to name a droll fellow, regarded as typical of his country, after some favorite article of food, as E[nglish] Jack-pudding, G[erman] Hanswurst ("Jack Sausage"), F[rench] Jean Farine ("Jack Flour"). [Century Dictionary, 1902, entry for "macaroni"]

Originally it seems to have been applied insultingly to the Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English. A less-likely theory (attested by 1832) is that it represents some southern New England Algonquian language mangling of English. In English a term of contempt (1750s) before its use as a general term for "native of New England" (1765); during the American Revolution it became a disparaging British word for all American natives or inhabitants. Contrasted with southerner by 1828. Shortened form Yank in reference to "an American" first recorded 1778. Latin-American form Yanqui attested in English by 1914 (in Mexican Spanish by 1835).
    The rule observed in this country is, that the man who receives that name [Yankee] must come from some part north of him who gives it. To compensate us for giving each other nicknames, John Bull "lumps us all together," and calls us all Yankees. ["Who is a Yankee?" Massachusetts Spy, June 6, 1827]
    Tubby-Nuts2 and peedee like this.