1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

To the Brits...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Larry Esposito, Mar 18, 2016.

1. and Aussies, and such.

I do admit, I love listening to the way you talk. Sounds more refined than us Yanks. However, when reading forums like this one, two words get tossed around a bit. Interested in the (American English) translation. :)

Cheers and Mate.

On this side of the pond, Cheers is only said the moment before you throw back an alcoholic beverage. Usually to your buddy who is about to do the same. Seems like it is used as "Thanks", but often I see "Thanks" typed right after it. Then there is Mate. Is that friend, or more slang-ish like 'Bro', Dude?

So, when someone says "Cheer, Mate" are they saying:

"Thanks, friend"
    "Right on, brotha!"
    or something else entirely?

Just curious. :)
    peedee and Blind Pew like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    All of the above and also when necking a beer too
    Steve
    peedee and Larry Esposito like this.
  3. necking? Oh boy. Necking and Mate have entirely different meaning over here!
    peedee likes this.
  4. JonH Active Member

And a fag goes down very nicely while necking a pint.
    Jon
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't mention 'fags' on a family site :LOL:
  6. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Larry,

So, in context with all of the above! ' One could say. Cheers mate, let me finish my fag (cigarette), and neck my beer',. then we go onto the next pub!.:D (Simple)

Regards,

Mark.

Ps, I have no idea of 'Aussie'. .. that is just alien! :LOL:
    peedee likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just purely 'Thanks', or gratitude for a good deed, ;) .. As in 'cheers for this post', it will get people talking.

Mark.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language." Attributed to George Bernard Shaw, but this may be one of those things Shaw should have said. It sounds like him. This could be expanded to include Canada [except for French-speaking portions], Australia & New Zealand.

The first time I was stationed in Britain with USAF, I bought a little phrase book that gave British : American translations. No kidding. Nowadays they probably have an app for that. ;)

All the best,
    Dan
    peedee, Scotty, Blind Pew and 3 others like this.
  9. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Larry a great question . America and UK, we both speak English but do we speak the same language ? . I have regular emails and phone chats with Rick Brownlee aka the Kansas Kid .Over the years we have found who many words have complete different meanings in one country to the other .
    But back to your question . Cheers Mate , it's a way of saying thank you . It's used for instance if someone brings you a beer, instead of saying thank you I would say cheers mate . in short it's a friendly way of saying Thank You
    chippy
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers, can also mean "All the Best" and interchangeable. o_O
    John
    peedee likes this.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I have an interest in words and their origins, use and development. I'll have to check this but I seem to remember that one possibility was it came from an Anglo / Norman word for face or more accurately it formed part of a phrase identifying a particular facial expression.
    Cheers or its Norman version would have had a prefix to determine a sad, happy face etc. Over time the prefix has been lost leaving Cheers as as possibly meaning to look happy particularly when you're having a drink.
    peedee likes this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    You're right, Del. One etymology of the word is that it comes to English via Old French from Latin, cara, "face" or "head", which the Romans borrowed from the Greeks.

I was a language major.

Prost!
    Brad
    peedee, Huw63 and DEL like this.
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    And in this usage, "Cheers" can be thought to be derived from a symbolic act of raising a glass in gratitude or in affirmation of something positive.

Just as I sign my forum posts with "Prost!"

Prost!
    Brad
    peedee likes this.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    So cheers is the original smiley?
    DEL and sd0324 like this.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is why intonation is as important as choosing the phrase

"Cheers mate' as a thank you is the perfect riposte to something that you find is the absolute bollocks.

But 'Cheers mate' in a sarcatic tone is just pure bollocks, and can get you a slap.

I find the Pub is an excellent place to practise language, particularly when your team is on the TV, and you don't like the peformance of the team.
    Lots of people around you will talk absolute bollocks and you can say cheers to them in disagreement if you are brave enough.

I shall be practising such discourse against Arsenal (who are total bollocks) in a couple of hours against the mighty Everton FC........now they are just the dogs bollocks.

Cheers

Paul.
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That sounds like a load of tosh to me that means he is Bullshtting
    peedee and Huw63 like this.
  17. JonH Active Member

DEL therefore could be said to be "talking bollocks". Cheers;)
    Jon
    peedee likes this.
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

As opposed to Ron's Horse's which are the Dog's bollocks. Geezer. :whistle:
    peedee likes this.
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    see below ......... at school you must've missed the class that covered this ....

CHEERS c.1225, from Anglo-Norm. chere "the face," from O.Fr. chiere, from L.L. cara "face," from Gk. kara "head," from PIE base *ker- "head." Already by M.E. meaning had extended metaphorically to "mood, demeanor, mental condition" as reflected in the face. Could be in a good or bad sense ("The feend ... beguiled her with treacherye, and brought her into a dreerye cheere," "Merline," c.1500), but positive sense has predominated since c.1400. Meaning "shout of encouragement" first recorded 1720, perhaps nautical slang (earlier "to encourage by words or deeds," c.1430). Cheer up (intrans.) first attested 1676. Cheers as a salute or toast when taking a drink is British, 1919. Cheerleader first recorded 1903, Amer.Eng. Cheerful is from c.1400.
    Huw63 and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  20. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Nope ........ see above ....... Cheers:)
    peedee and Huw63 like this.