1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed "To strive, to seek, to find ,and not to yield "- 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DioramaArt, Sep 14, 2023.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marcus, if you could get those images around the base laser cut onto clear acrylic, with a black acrylic backing, could look something special....!(y)
    Oda and DioramaArt like this.
  2. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ooohhh, that sounds very posh. Sounds expensive though, no idea who could do it. Something like that or engraved in metal would look very very cool. Thanks for the idea. :)
    Oda and valiant like this.
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ....could also look classy laser cut onto mirrored acrylic.....!(y)
    Oda likes this.
  4. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Marcus

Beautiful execution. At some pt, y squared off the side edges of the base and proposed the hard side edge mock-up.
    In my opinion, the vast desolation effect is better achieved with natural jagged edges. Why not leave the front and right side as natural edges extending from the wood base? I do like the proposed title plate on the back edges of this piece as it gives the context. Rgds Victor.
    Oda likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Marcus

Catching up a bit on this excellent piece

My thoughts are keep the base simple , possibly something on the back but it generally wouldn't be seen at shows and could detract from the actual piece

In my opinion a booklet with pics in to sit in front for people to look through , maybe with some WIP progress pics as well as actual ones ......I've seen this before at shows and it's really good

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DioramaArt and Oda like this.
  6. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wonderful creative work!
  7. Briggsy A Fixture

Just caught up again, nice progress with the base I like the idea of the jegged edges from Blaster, a natural approach signifying it's too big to be enclosed. Also like the info on the back but perhaps as seems to be he consensus on the sides. Still it's what you want it to be of course and whichever way you go it's a great project.

Cheers Simon
    DioramaArt likes this.
  8. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you all for your nice constructive comments, will take on board the observations re the base. Doing the sides and back as a solid colour, I can’t get a perfect even flat side to the work having joined the base with board, so may add something, but will think about it later decision in the build if it annoys me enough.

Just started to paint up the figure’s so they are a WIP. Edgar Evans was the first of expedition to perish on the return journey from the South Pole, the chap I’ve depicted with a red scarf. The eyes red from near snow blindness and skin burnt from sun, wind and sub 40 temperatures. I’ve also started work on doctor Wilson.

For the painting I’m using several photos of the men taken during the expedition, so no single image is intended to be an identical point in time. I’m not aware of any images taken on the Beardmore ascent, so combining images seems logical to give an exhausted but not beaten team representation.

Also, the world is a strange place. By chance my mum bumped into and chatted to an old family friend today about the expedition and my project; she is the great great neice of Edgar Evans the first figure I started painting today. Weird.

2B64B777-213D-435B-811D-09BCA465F98E.jpeg 14DA8AB3-D6B2-420B-A683-4C145F3BF603.jpeg FF41ED11-87E0-49F0-8CAC-34DA6437726A.jpeg 7A3218B9-04A7-42CC-BD08-C7E2FA87BDEF.jpeg 612FE611-148C-4F60-846D-4B4D3205737F.jpeg CCABAAA5-94A4-405B-BA4A-EBFC9F53D2F6.jpeg E1957A3E-2BFE-41FC-8B60-83D1E3346B48.jpeg 6D44FFA3-24A2-4CA5-8093-49A4E400F8D9.jpeg 075D55F2-E3E8-4121-A772-3C3DAE9D1D63.jpeg
    Scotty, MalcC, Dr Bison and 6 others like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Marcus

Great to see the figures being painted , they are really coming on well , like the painting style especially the fleshwork

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Have FUN @ the bench

Nap
  10. Briggsy A Fixture

Looking great, definitely got them looking exhausted, the project is coming along very well. I'm eager to see the finished result.

Cheers Simon
    DioramaArt, Oda and Nap like this.
  11. NigelR A Fixture

Wow, those are looking really good. The flesh tones and expressions are excellent, keep going!
    DioramaArt likes this.
  12. marco14 PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    that is going fast there with you djeez,and how beautiful is that ,if that's going to be finished it gonna be great (y)

Mario
    DioramaArt likes this.
  13. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Still painting figures, this time Captain Robert Falcon Scott himself. Quite pleased how he’s turning out. I’ve hand-painted the dial for the sun compass he always carried, a steady hand for once. :LOL:

07FB60A2-C99F-45A2-8CFF-BB9FC90F7480.jpeg C3654CCC-6E1C-4738-B8D9-8EE307785BF8.jpeg 8ABA7DB9-F9D0-4F11-9973-0187442D7392.jpeg 3C5F0AFC-0124-4956-95D5-07DCC100500E.jpeg 23C3D208-B9B3-463E-B157-778161198003.jpeg
    Scotty, Oda, Martin64 and 4 others like this.
  14. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Captain Oats & Doctor Wilson.

1CAC5F89-974E-4221-818F-4BD7E3F3E67D.jpeg 28869FA2-2B2D-4241-9AFB-5EFF7A64B0DF.jpeg EDF5EB3A-0518-4241-BE20-EAA726702B66.jpeg 3C2CE36F-F7CC-4B35-9C82-6D307F7C712F.jpeg 834E5505-050F-44B1-87A6-C71066703899.jpeg
    Oda, Martin64, MalcC and 3 others like this.
  15. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The scene so far.

6BFBB8F2-DAD4-445B-A7EA-3A8AEF5E72A3.jpeg
    Alain11, razor, dmcHobbes and 9 others like this.
  16. Briggsy A Fixture

Really nice, I can see the exertion on his face and the sundial is amazing.

Cheers Simon
    Oda and DioramaArt like this.
  17. NigelR A Fixture

Looking good, and excellent work on the sundial! Very steady hand indeed......
    DioramaArt likes this.
  18. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Simon, appreciated. :)
  19. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you mate, using a few different brushes for this painting. Found a larger brush from Dave the Brushman that’s really helping with my face and detail painting on this work, so actually enjoying painting for a change. :D
  20. NigelR A Fixture

This is all coming together really well, the scenery and the figures look great together.

One thing really jumped out at me - the figure at the front of the sled looks like he has bare calves. You used a flesh-like colour on the leggings and to me it looks like he has bare legs with some cord wrapped around them. On close inspection you can see that they are leggings but I did find my brain couldn't shake the image that the guy is wearing pedal pushers..... But maybe it's just me?
    DioramaArt likes this.
  21. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I based the colour on this colourised image mate.

They look a salmon colour to me. Need to add some cord, or paint it in I think.

0F47F5F3-30D1-4261-993C-4B6412D415E8.jpeg
    Martin64 and Briggsy like this.