1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"To sphere or not to sphere" ...LOL

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nicholas Ball, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Nicholas Ball Member

England
    Dear All,
    before I start on the travel box that I bought from John, I think I should point out that the title bears no criticism of the products made by the above company, he did however supply his product to an idiot, so I think it is only fair that he should take at least 50%of the blame!!:eek::joyful:

It all started when I thought I would design myself a travel box specifically for my flat figures.
    I measured out the size of my biggest piece and would work around that. As I put all my figures into frames all I really needed was a Square box with 5/6 shelves.
    After taking time to measure and work out the heights and widths of all the various parts, I spent a fair time drawing out the blueprints for my wonderful creation and sent them to John so it could be given to me when I met him at the next show.
    It was at the point of collection that I realised things might not be going to plan, as he handed me two massive boxes and I needed an airport trolley to take the weight and transport them back to the car!!:nailbiting:

On getting home, I opened the boxes and made a dry run. However, not wanting to be seen with a bit of MDF and equally wanting to promote the British Flat Figure Society, I thought it a great idea to paint it British Racing Green. Disassembly was a breeze and not wanting to get green paint on the shelves or their cut out supports, I put these back in the box with my nicely lasered acrylic sliding door.

Getting into the garage, I decided it would be better to clip it together and paint it as a complete unit
    ( as any sane person would -No pun intended!:p )
    Two days later after 3 coats of high gloss Dulux paint it looks the bee's knee's. And then it dawned on me that the top was smaller than the bottom!!! even I went to school and knew the basic principles of a square box has 90 degree angles--- things were not looking up here and all I could think was, what has John done???:(
    Being an Engineer by proxy, my brain was now racing on how best to fix things and come up with yet another great idea. Having taken the box upstairs I thought I would at least try to slide in the front cover.
    Well, guess my surprise, when on opening the box, I found the side shelf support sheets that should have been fitted before assembly to make it square!! this was only confounded when I tried to take the box apart to fit them in and found that the paint was now acting as a super, super glue and I couldn't take it apart!!:wtf:
    Being a handy sort of chat, it was out with the jigsaw, but not wanting to damage my lovely paintwork, I decided to cut down the shelf supports - am I good or what(y)
    Having done all this, my next surprise was to find that although the bottom shelf fitted, the top ones wouldn't even go in- what was going on here!! out with the jigsaw again and cut the rest of the shelves. Brilliant-- well NO:mad: the top shelf now fitted, but the rest fell to the bottom cos I had cut them too small! --was there no end to this nightmare:sleep: out with a new sheet of MDF and cut and measure all the new shelves individually SORTED, ---------NOOOOO the front cover now had to be cut at an angle to get to fit, from the bottom up!

It was at this point on trying to fit my largest piece that I found it would not fit!! perhaps John hadn't made it wide enough? Well no, all I can say in my defence is that when you use a steel metre rule, try to start at 1mm and not 1 metre going backwards!!!

The box is no longer with us I'm afraid to say, but if you are having trouble getting your bar-be going next summer, try putting on a sphere product, does it go up well or what? sausages cooked in 5 seconds, which brings me to my next point as a health and safety expert:wideyed: if you have one of these products in your house, please locate the nearest fire extinguisher immediately:D

For some reason, for which, I cannot fathom ( maybe he's just a nice man ) whenever I buy anything from him at a show, John ALWAYS tells me to take the assembled one of the table, and he will go and make up another straight away, its no bother what-so-ever!!

Nigel Bill

please note, to save embarrassment some names may have been changed;)

:D:ROFLMAO::p
    1969, peedee, Helm and 5 others like this.
  2. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    Hey Nick, I was waiting for the finale of you buying a 50 gallon drum of brake fluid to soak off the paint. I seem to remember Thomas Edison went through a few trials before he was successful. One down and ........to go.:rolleyes: Joe
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So funny mr B ! :).