1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tigar 1991

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pokrad, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes, I had in mind "Mr. Surfacer" too ;)
    I hope that beard will help to improve likeness, I'll try to do it with "ProCreate" modelling putty...
  3. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    remember..resin works perfectly with thermoclay.

add thinner to the beard.

at least try sice you have copies :)
  4. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Rene I had this in mind since You said, (and I tested it), and will probably do it for the hat ;)
    But the layer for the eye-brows and moustaches should be very thin, so I think putty will work better. As You said, now I can experiment without fear that I'll destroy the original ;)
  5. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    the cast really looks super Darko!

so nice also, this grey resin.
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I don't like it. 90% of the hair will be covered with the hat (fortunately).
    I'll put primer tomorrow and decide what to do with this...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  7. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I do like it but it looks so clean.

Just try the haircut and beard with the sculpey, combined with thinner.
    It wil react and you can manipulate separate parts of the coupe with brush in moisted sections.
    The extending parts of the hair can be made very thin, even with polymerclay.

René
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It looks well, but it will look even better once it's primed.
    Carl.
  9. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Too clean for someone sitting in the woods, and probably did not bath for a week ;)
    Lucky me, I have a mold, hehehe.
  10. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    hum hum... yeah yeah...

moldings are cool :-p

R.
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think the edges of the mustache come down too straight, they should angle outward at the corners of the mouth more. I think the beard should be a bit more "wild" as well, looks a bit too tidy and neat. Because you are working from a single photo, some things have to be inferred that might not be seen clearly. Like you said, he probably is a bit dirty and unkempt, so I would assume the beard would be getting a bit shabby as well. The hat will make a big difference, its a big part of the look of the photo.
    Cheers
    Jason
  12. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Darko,
    There doesn't appear to be enough hair on either his head or chin. The photo shows a pretty full beard on the chin. You could probably fix up what you've already done by simply adding some bulk to it and maybe making the beard a little longer.

The casing does look good too.

Ray
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking cool (y) for future ideas, the translucent casting could be a cool effect for scifi stuff

@jburch & Ray
    Darko mentioned that he was gonna give him the wild man look on a separate casting since he has moulds ;)
  14. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Thx to all for attention and crits.
    There is too much "first time" things on this head, so there are many errors as well.
    My hope lies in the new non-translucent cast, and now I have some experience working with Procreate too. Will try to fix everything you guys said ;)
    The only thing that I'm gonna do with this one is to prime it, to better see the errors...
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Decided to fix some things You noticed, still not sure if worth trying:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Hey Darko,
    I think you are running into a problem with the hair that I used to have issues with, and thats overworking it a bit. Its starts to get very chopped up and a bit unnatural looking. Instead of strands of hair I would end up with tiny pieces here and there with lines cut all through them. I did this all the time trying to make it finer, but over time I came to the conclusion that leaving the strands less worked and larger, and allowing the painting to do more of the work of making it pop, looks better in the end. Other than perhaps the sideburns you wouldn't see much of his hair, so don't worry too much. I would concentrate on the hat an the goatee. Couple other things I (might) have noticed. I dont think he has that much hair under the lip, and I don't believe his lower lip is that pronounced. You can see it in the picture, but it looks like he might have it pulled back over his lower teeth so it doesn't stick out as much, like hes sucking on it or wetting it with his tongue.
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    You are righ, it is overdone and unatural.
    However, this is it, just primed it for the test, and it goes into "spare box".
    Tomorow I hope non-transcluent resin will arive, and I'll start over with a fresh copy.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    New resin arrived, and here is a new cast, a "platform" for starting over ;)

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Much nicer! (y)
  20. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    To get away from the frustration of making beard and hair for Tigar 1991 (several failed attempts), I made this bust, how he could look for example at the end of 1992...With neat beard, short hair, wearing army Sweater.
    The bust goes on a shelf and I'm back to frustration with the beard and hair ...

[IMG]
    [IMG]