1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Thunderbird Miniatures - Lt. Winston S. Churchill, 4th Hussars, 1895

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Mark Mindeman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mark Mindeman Member

United-States
    Available now!
    Lt. Winston S. Churchill, 4th Hussars, 1895.
    Sculpted by Aaron Brown. Box art by Rod Curtis
    1/10 Scale Resin
    www.thunderbirdminiatures.com
    DSCF5078.jpg DSCF5079.jpg DSCF5080.jpg DSCF5082.jpg
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    That's a cool piece and captured that Churchill pout right on the money. (y)
  3. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent facial likeness.
    Tom
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I wondered whose this was. Nice stuff
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Young Winston in all his glory.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
    Mark ,
    Nice looking piece , like all the details that has been sculpted by Aaron , and the likeness looks really good as well , really nice painting as well ..be interesting to see how the uniform colour was done , a really dark blue almost black...needless to say I have this on order from SK Miniatures .

Nap

winston-churchill-hussar-1896.jpg
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb figure. Any chance of a pair of legs?

Mike
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

That looks great. Runs a bit deep for my taste in busts but nicely done.

Einion
  9. Antlion Member

Canada
    Mr. Churchhill was actually skinny?
  10. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have now obtained one of these. Although at first (see my comment above) it appears to be an excellent likeness, there are a number of faults.

In the photos above and below, the lace is clearly shown to be coming in at quite an angle, so that the lace at waist level is less than half as long as that at shoulder level. This is much less so on the figure. In addition in both photos Churchill is shown holding a sword with a three bar guard and sword knot, the hilt provided in the kit has a solid guard without sword knot. Although the tunic is almost full length, there is no room for the lace decoration at the back. I was going to sculpt a pair of legs on mine, but the resulting tunic would be far to long.

As as aside, the quality of casting on mine was poor, and not of the standard expected these days.

http://imgace.com/pic/tag/2nd-lieutenant-in-4th-hussars/
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-4th-Queen-s-Own-Hussars-Offr-s-FD-Ceremonial-Tunic-Trousers-Ref-HHZ-/110996655716?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item19d7ea8e64&nma=true&si=Gq1NVFygiPrWKTomyl8g5k9Ped8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Happy modelling (?).

Mike
  11. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent, Mark! A superficial resemblance is all my dumb Okie ass needs! Great!
  12. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I've also just bought one of these & I think you might have been unlucky with the casting quality Mike. Other than the usual slight casting lines the only issue there is on mine is some excess resin between his right arm and the torso, almost as if a small part of the mould has come away. You are quite correct re the type of sword guard not matching the photographic reference.
    Also the pouch is missing in my kit and I've asked the supplier for a replacement.

Geoff
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The pouch is also missing in my kit.

Mike
  14. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Mike have you contacted the supplier for a replacement?

Geoff
  15. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, by e.mail.

Mike
  16. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice

even if, at large, I don'l like bust, this one tempt me
  17. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What a great subject and paintwork.