1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Three Tommies in the mud of the Somme

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, May 28, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    At long last...

Scale: 1/16th
    Materials: Resin parts from Jaguar, Model Cellar & D. J. Parkin, metal SMLE rifle from D. J. Parkin, magicsculpt, 2 part clear resin for mud, paper map tape for putties & Vallejo 599 coarse pumice paste for earth

Based on an illustration by an unknown artist published in several books including, “Eye Deep in Hell” by John Ellis, 1946.

1st / 6th Durham Light Infantry Rgt., 151st Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division – no division markings

Wounded Tommy –
    • Goatskin jerkin worn as vests over M1902 khaki field service tunic
    • M1902 khaki field service trousers
    • M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouch
    Second and Third Tommies
    • Goatskin jerkins and M1902 uniforms
    • Three Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MK III 0.303 caliber rifles – two wrapped in water-proofing, one being used as a lever to lift the wounded man
    • Small canvas haversack for carrying anti-gas PH helmets
    • M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouches
    • Canvas musette bag and haversacks
    • M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots
    • On left hip, M1908 khaki haversacks and entrenching tool helves
    • On right hip, M1908 entrenching tool heads in khaki carriers and water bottles covered with khaki cloth and hooked to belt
    • one standing Tommy is a two-stripe corporal; the other has a bombers badge on one sleeve

I'm going to post the illustration again first and then the photos of the figures.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wow what a different theme, ecxellent.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Stephan!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good work Dan, it's a real beauty. I think it's going to call for some tricky brushwork to get into certain areas.

Roger
  5. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Dan
    Ho yes i like it ! You did a really singular and good work
    Who will paint this beautiful thing ?
    mille bravo Dan

Seb.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Esteban - Many thanks for your kind comments! Our own Roger Newsome will be painting it with [to quote him..."tricky brushwork" :)]

Roger - I can't wait to see what you do with this one!!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. eissteban Active Member

France
    waouh Roger great honor for you
    a lot of work waiting for you early
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    The pressure will be on Seb, there's people watching lol.

Roger
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice Dan,a lot of work for the painter indeed.Looking forwrd for the first steps!
    christos
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Chris! Lots of grey, sticky mud and khaki to paint for Roger!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The color of Somme mud!

According to one of our Belgian friends, this is the color of Somme mud - just in case you're curious! :)

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Well done, Dan! Will it be done by Chicago?

Jason
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Jason! Thanks for your kind comment! Yes, I expect it will be done by then. I have the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles figure, "The Shoveller" to complete - not all that much - one or two weekends probably. Then I'll get both the vignette and the shoveller off to Roger to paint. With luck, Kreston will also have completed the "Dead Stretcher Bearer" sometime this summer and he'll bring that also. After the shoveller, I'm going to complete two of the cavalry figures I've had in various stages of incompletion for a long, long time - the US "Chasing Villa" 13th Cavalry, 1916 and the British Scots Greys 1914. Really looking forward to those!!! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    Dan

Dan
    If you are basing this vignette solely on the artwork above, you need to make a few correction. The Tommy on your right facing you should be leaning forward and also wearing a burlap cover on his shell and take out the slack in the web straps, if they are lifting him up there should be no slack in the straps. Nice work so far, I am a very large WWI freak, I had one hell of a WWI Trench mace collection at one time as well as one killer collection of head gear. Thanks and just an observation. Mrosko

Germany
    A great piece and I think Roger had to do a very good paint job. I like your figures and the scenes, because they show always a special part and aren´t find in commercial versions.

Ulrich
  16. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    HI Dan
    you always succeed to find of the beautiful images ...
    Bravo I appreciate your efforts in realizing original scenes.
    Saluti MAB ;)
  17. vergilius New Member

Belgium
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great work Dan.
    Roger has a hell of a job to paint this in time.

marc
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Chris - Thanks for your constructive critique! I'm going to re-do one of the straps because I don't want this to detract from the scene. The other one couldn't be straighter. Although in the illustration the soldiers are wearing M1908 canvas equipment, I chose to show M1914 leather equipment throughout. Why? I'd sculpted M1908 previously and hadn't sculpted M1914 before. The wounded soldier is being lifted using M1914 leather harness reversed with the wide bits under his arms and with pieces buckled together to make the proper length. Again, thanks for your comment and critique!

Ulrich, Maurizio, Vergilius and Marc - Many thanks! Maurizio - I've found so many Great War images that would make for excellent figures that, in the rest of my life, I could never do them all! Ulrich - I'm not really going out of my way to be...um...uncommercial. :) Maybe not this one, but I think some of the illustrations and images I've used might be reasonably done as commercial figures. Who knows? They might make a dime or two profit for somebody. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  20. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Magnificent

Hi Dan
    Once again a magnificent and original model.
    Pete