1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Three Projects

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Some progress photos for the USN gunner, the Matrosen Petty Officer and the Austro-Hungarian Mountain Artilleryman.

I'm continuing to present the photos and illustrations which I'm using as references because I prefer that the viewer have a little background for each project.

I'm planning to do a 'relief' background /groundwork for the USN gunner. Just beginning to put that together. Some bits like the cannon and parts of its base will stick out from the 'wedge' and some will just be slightly raised bits on the surface of the 'walls'. The cannon is a PVC water pipe and I've added paper segments from a tube. The floor is balsa cut to fit. I freely admit this is stretching me - never tried anything like it before. The photo showing the sailor in the gun compartment has some perspective problems. The compartment is a wedge with a triangle base. The walls and floor are sheet polystyrene with reinforcement to the walls. Doesn't look like much now, but I hope to improve it.

I'm calling the USN gunner's pose - "I'm a little teapot." :)

No ideas for a background or groundwork for the Matrosen yet. I plan to have him holding a pencil and a log book, possibly a message of some sort.

The Austrian will just be standing on the completed rocks. I've completed some feathers for the hat by cutting photoetch brass waste. The hat has the little holder for the feathers added plus a large stitched-on patriotic saying of some sort and one metal badge.

Everything is 1/16th scale and sculpted in MagicSculpt mostly. Heads, some weapons, hands and boots are resin from kits.

Lots to do on all three. I look forward to your comments and thoughts. Suggestions to improve anything welcome.

All the best,
    Dan

AH1.jpg AH2.jpg AH3.jpg AH4.jpg

Landeschutzen in mountains 1912.JPG

Matrosen 1.jpg Matrosen 2.jpg

Matrosen petty officer (3).jpg Osprey Elite0001.jpg
    USN1.jpg USN2.jpg USN and gun.jpg
    Kisifer and billyturnip like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Looks pretty good so far, Dan!

Cheers