1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Three gifts I remember before age 10

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wayneb, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Don't ask me why, I just had a brain fart to ask this maybe silly question. What are the three gifts you got for Christmas before age ten that you remember that may have influenced your life. Mine were a baseball glove and ball...a Visible Man model kit....and a Hopalong Cassidy cap gun and holster maybe not exactly in that order...…. Thankfully I still remember.
    Happy Holidays to all,
    Wayne
    Babelfish, Chris Oldfield and DaddyO like this.
  2. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Civil war play set with blue and gray plastic soldiers, tents, barricades, cannons. Also the Big Caesar play set with plastic Roman soldiers who had their own working catapults. Don't remember who the bad guys were, probably barbarians of some ilk. The battery operated Roman ship (the aforementioned Big Caesar) had oars that rowed (none too quietly)as it slowly moved across the linoleum. Also remember getting a snub nose .38, just like detectives used on tv, that shot plastic bullets and came with it's own shoulder holster and hand cuffs. Not sure about the influence because I'm not a cop nor did I serve in the military.
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Books, many of them
    The same doll as my cousin Thèrèse when I was four
    Two cowboys guns with embroidered holster and sculpted barrels
    A big Mecano
    My first Marklin electric railway
    And always books, books, books and today if you wish to please me; books, books, books
    Babelfish and DEL like this.
  4. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    The first model kit I ever built, an Airfix HO/OO scale Engine Shed, when I was five years old.
    Action Man (GI Joe in the USA), again when I was five.
    My late Dad also gave me the felt bush hat he wore when stationed in West Africa with the Royal Corps of Signals during WW2, & handling this & listening to his war stories influenced me to join the British Army when I was 18.
    Babelfish, DEL and Blind Pew like this.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Buntline special with chief wearing a war bonnet on the grip.
    John Steed sword stick
    Corgi James Bond Aston Martin DB5 (ok I was 11 when I got this)
    How I wish I still had them.
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Action man.
    Lego.
    Aged seven, the Matchbox Fairey Swordfish. I've been a modeller ever since.
    DEL and Chris Oldfield like this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Mr. potato head......I've been ever since...:D
    Blind Pew and Chris Oldfield like this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Aged 8....a submarine that fired 4 torpedoes forward and two rearwards.
    Had great battkes on the carpet with my brother who got the same.

Aged 10.
    Real leather twin holsters for my colt 45's.
    The pistols were hand made from the original colt museum plans, the steel blued by being boiled in perfume.
    Just awesome.
    Not much bettered that.
    Babelfish likes this.
  9. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    I had a Robin Hood costume with bow and arrow, Made of green and brown felt. I even slept in it.
    I also had a toy plastic M16 which had a spring loaded pull back on the side. Made a great ack ack sound when fired.
    Then a set of Airfix Britons.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My grandparents (I still thought it was Santa at the time ;) ) gave me one of these for Christmas when I was 5 or 6 .... and toy guns were never the same again.

They go for stupid money on eBay now if you've got one boxed and in decent condition.

s-l1600.jpg

- Steve
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That sounds pretty cool.

- Steve
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've still got mine knocking around somewhere. A few scratches though, and the box is long gone.

- Steve
    DEL likes this.
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    [quote="Babelfish, post: 1023526, member: 5577" (I still thought it was Santa at the time ;) )

- Steve[/quote]

........ what the hell!!!??? :eek::eek::eek:.....
    Babelfish likes this.
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive waited patiently, every Christmas for 50 years, for santa to bring me a Johnny Seven.....Oh well, theres always next year!:(
    Chris Oldfield and Babelfish like this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Had mine for years, eventually though the ends broke off all but one of the projectiles, the grenade launcher spring broke, the cap gun mechanism seized up and I lost most of the white bullets. So I decided that it no longer owed me anything and ended up giving it to a kid down the road. I was 36 years old :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

This is a great thread.

- Steve
    Chris Oldfield and valiant like this.
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Obviously most of you guys aren't as old as me....a few years makes a big difference when you're very young. When I was maybe 6-7 yrs. old , I received and was I think, not very happy with an Emmitt Kelly clown doll with a rubber head ( don't ask me why). Also a wiffle ball and bat. Needless to say; Emmitts' head became the ball and my brothers and I had one helluva good time.....Yep....that influenced me....not sure how.....:)

Wayne
    Babelfish likes this.
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I so wanted one of these.
  18. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I wish I'd still got mine Paul :ROFLMAO:.

It was an awesome piece of kit and packed a right punch when you were blasting those Airfix 1/32 "Military Series" plastic figures and vehicles. Me and my pal Keith would use the white bullets to pick off the sentries and riflemen on the ramparts of the forts we used to build, then use the projectiles to blast open the gates before moving in to clean up "pockets of resistance" with our Britains "Bandetta" elastic band guns - which by the way were also excellent for killing flies on windows (and that one I still have somewhere).

- Steve
    peedee likes this.
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Until I read how much fun you had...I liked you.
    Now......Not so.much ;) :)
    I did have a toy Winchester repeater rifle that loaded real brass empty cartidge cases
    like a shotgun, when fired , you heard the sound of a movie ricochet.
    And cocking the action, the cases ejected properly.

Only when Airfix released the L1A1 SLR and bayonet with plastic rounds was I able to properly injure the kids next door.
    :)
    Helm and Babelfish like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    For me ...life was hard ...the youngest with 3 older sisters ......very confused with hand me downs ......

Had a knock off deep sea diver ....wanted the Action man one .....it wasn't !!!!...so I drowned him in the washing up bowl

Ker-Plunk ..arrived ......too young really to get it !!

My mother bless her knitted me some clothes for a 2nd hand action man .....despite not having one !!!!

I could only dream of whst you guys had ..Johnny 7 ...awesome !!

Nap