1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Thracian nobleman with Rhomphaia (75mm)

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Venko, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Hi,
    I know I have other two projects in progress, but I really wanted to start this interesting subject and right know I have big enthusiasm for sculpting with the Beesputty (those projects will keep me busy for a time I hope :) ), so...
    I live in the town of Kazanlak, in central Bulgaria, in the valley of the Thracian kings, so I wanted to sculpt (and eventually paint) something from our local history and I'm really interested in the Thracian culture and warfare, which is obscured in some mystery.
    Thracians are famous not only with their peltasts, but their cavalry. Thracian cavalry was numerous and reknown for its combat power so that Philip of Macedon adopted their wedge formation for the Macedonian cavalry. They were widely sought as mercenaries and auxilaries, like the Hellenistic armies and Rome.

This will be a Thracian nobleman with Rhomphaia, the dreaded thracian weapon. He will wear the recognizable Thracian helmet (also known as Phrygian), cuirass and greaves, and cloak. Also the "Sica"-a type of short sword or dagger, is considered their national weapon.
    The difference between rhomphaia and the falx is that the former is longer and straight or slightly curved compared to the latter.

Starting with the base anatomy and pose, the rhomphaia I made from copper wire and additionally will sculpt the handle. The head I will make sparately.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards!
    Venko
    Rodion, Jed, NeilW and 3 others like this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is already looking promising at this very very early stage. Good luck with him.
    Venko likes this.
  3. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thank you!

It looks raw now, but I have to visit the local museum to take a look at the armor and weaponry, there are several very nicely restored pieces of Thracian armor here :)

Have a nice day!
    Blind Pew likes this.
  4. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Some progress here, the cuirass is not baked yet, I have to smooth it out a bit more and add the ornaments. The feet will be covered with leather shoes :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rodion, Jed, Blind Pew and 1 other person like this.
  5. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    More work on the cuirass-the decorations. As reference I used the very nice armor from our local museum. There are some kind of serpents or dragons carved on the chest piece :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Jed, elanlane13, Ryan_bg and 2 others like this.
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress.
    Venko likes this.
  7. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming on nicely :)

... great to see going back to original source material (y)
    Venko likes this.
  8. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
  9. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Proceeding with the leather shoes and the greaves with their decorations-probably the hardest work for now.
    Again, I used the very nice pair of greaves of the Odryssian king Seuthes III from our museum for reference :) . There is a decorated woman's face on each of them, most probably of the thracian goddess of hunt Bendida. I also did the rings for the tie downs of the armor.
    Now I can proceed with the head and the hands :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rodion, Blind Pew and NeilW like this.
  10. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work: the sculpting of the Bendina masks on the greaves is superb (y)
    Venko likes this.
  11. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thanks Neil!

Here is a closer look:

[IMG]
    Rodion, Old Pete and Blind Pew like this.
  12. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant work on those greaves, this is turning into a superb project.
    Venko likes this.
  13. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thank you!

Proceeding with the head, most of it will be covered by the helmet, so I didn't sculpt the hair yet.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers!
    Rodion, b00gie, Jed and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work Venko
    Venko likes this.
  15. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thank you, Jed!
    Jed likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Venko

This is looking great as we can see the work on the greaves really shines with the armour also coming together nicely

Will you do a choice of heads ..with or without headwear ?

If this goes commercial I am sure it will be very popular if not you will have showed the skill you have well

Thanks for sharing

Happy sculpting

Nap
    Jed and Venko like this.
  17. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thanks Nap, I'm glad you like it!

It will be commercial if there is enough interest, of course first to finish it :)

The option of two heads will be nice, I will consider it.

Regards!
    Jed likes this.
  18. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I made a resin copy of the head for second option without a helmet, and sculpted the hair and headband with Magic sculpt and Procreate.
    Sorry for the creamy white resin, but that is what I have on hand in the moment.
    I work also on the original head with the helmet simultaneously.
    The Rhomphaia I will make separately, this is just for positioning the arms ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers!
    Rodion, Nap and b00gie like this.
  19. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I made the original head with the Thracian helmet, the hinges of the cheek guards I tried to sculpt, but in the end decided to make them from photoetch ones I had and brass rod:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rodion, Oda, Nap and 4 others like this.
  20. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Great Progress, lovely detail work.
    Venko likes this.