1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Thoughts about Euro 2014

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by megroot, Sep 21, 2014.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    One other thing that's just came to mind ,is the cost for the traders,which although it may be on the high side,in my opinion, a serious trader can't afford not to go even, if he just breaks even.It's the only chance you're going to have to allow your present and future customers to check out the figures first hand.
    Although i belong to the old school,i think it's a bit naive to think that it's not a business run along professional lines by all parties.I sympathise with the smaller companies,but unfortunately that's the way of things nowadays.Other shows have been mentioned, but i'm afraid you won't have the international prestige that Euro brings to the U.K. IMO.
    Brian
    Don Johnson, Don and elanlane13 like this.
  2. dallan New Member

I have to agree one hundred percent with Brian, like Brian & Co. we from Edinburgh travel the 1000 mile round trip at considerable cost to Folkestone, We have had a great weekend, Yes numbers were down a bit, but that has happened in previous years as well, mainly due to other events and perhaps the Credit Crunch!!
    As far as Traders go, there were more than enough top quality figures on sale, for my pocket (Luz New York for one). even Metal Models turned up for the first time as far as I can remember.. The Competition standard as always was through the roof
    even without the Top Guns (no disrespect} the Judges would have had a hard time with the quality stuff on the tables.
    Lets not forget that the Organisers and Volunteers who run the show work hard and long to make it a success, so a little positive praise won't go amiss

Thanks to everyone for a brilliant weekend!

And Brian remember to give my regards to Your Good Lady

Davy
    Don, Uruk-Hai and brian like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys,

Speaking as someone who wished he was there, for me when I do get down its the friendships that are made and re aquatinted , the talented work on display , the traders no matter how small , everyone plays their part ....and IMO everyone brings and takes something from Euro even if it's an empty wallet!

Totally agree about the show being run by dedicated helpers from putting tables out , helping set things up for traders and displays, photography (yes Malc you and Adrian Hopwood)...all unsung heroes ....

Not forgetting the hardworking judges some who are still doing their stuff when the pubs are open!

Euro is special , a one off each year so let's be happy it's still going ...and YES I do know how hard putting a show is ..come to Bugle Call on the 23rd Nov and see me in action !...trying not to get stressed as I am sure some folk were at Euro

Some interesting comment on this thread

Nap
    tomifune likes this.
  4. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Cheers Allan
    I must have been at a different show,as any traders who weren't there, all of the brands of figures you'ld ever want were covered by other traders.I can't think of any companies figures which couldn't have been bought at the show.Would somebody please inform me of any other FIGURE show that has so many brands present..
    As for the competition the following figures were present.
    Pepe Gallardo
    Massimo Pasquali
    Mike Blank
    Danilo Cartacci
    Hardy Tempest
    Fernando Ruiz
    Jesus Martin
    Ray Farrugia
    David Zabrowski
    Michel Volquarts
    Alex ( Igguazo)
    A strong South Korean contingent ( Yoon,Whang, Kim,etc,) please excuse the spelling)(y)
    David Mitchell
    and many more.I apologise if i left anybody out but the old memory banks aren't up to what they were.
    If that's not worth a tenner i don't know what is.
    I rest my case:)
    Brian
    Don and Mark S like this.
  5. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Your going to have to get back to the brushes Dave(y)
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I've heard this just about every year, since Jesus was a boy:)
    Don and Gellso like this.
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I don't know what show you were at Ron but a grand.Time to get that abacus back out mate.:ROFLMAO:
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Spent that the last time Brian no probs
    Re me taking stuff down , A thousand mile round trip with a van , fuel ,2 days away from work ,hotel costs ,beer ,food ,table , insurance ,vat :eek:
    A grand is well low : a hundred bases wouldn't even cover the cost of getting there not to mention the tortures drive and Im someone who enjoys driving .
    Original post was a seven-ish this morning still asleep :)
    Not knocking the show by the way it is great just wish it was a bit closer .
    Don and polyphemus like this.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Sorry Ron,i didn't think you were quoting traders costs.My mistook.
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I didn't wish to come across as 'negative' Brian, and I am sorry if that is how you interpreted my post.
    I merely wished to express my surprise at how there was no queuing to get in and, how quiet it was after the first few hours on Saturday morning.
    To be honest, I did not take into account the effect the other big events would impact on Euro, a point you well made.
    As I said, for me, this year was far more of a social event. I was not intending to go, due to lack of funds. However, my partner took me by surprise, when she announced she was taking me as my birthday treat.
    We both enjoyed a great day with some of the nicest people you could wish to meet. All regulars here, traders, sculptors and fellow painters.
    I will attend again next year and, will enter the competitions for the first time in 20+ years.
    Like you, I still think of Euro as the 'Premiere' event, and will continue to support it in the foreseeable future.

Regards

Ron
    Don, moz and brian like this.
  11. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

From my point of view - this is the second time I have attended. I was not impressed with the entrance fees last year, I knew what to expect this year.

The talent on show last year and this year was amazing as always. However the lack of entries as opposed to last year was disappointing. It doesn't matter that Expo was on weeks before - that should have not made any difference...Euro should attract the same each year if it doesn't then that surely says something - Euro perhaps should have changed it's dates this year if Euro is an inferior show not attracting the big guns. As for many traders - there were not as many as last year.

I don't think Euro is a great weekend. I think the entrance fee should be lowered as it, in my humble opinion, is not value for money. But these are opinions and I have made up my mind that I will probably not attend again - the traders I bought from I can do online and save myself the travel and entrance fee. I can also see most of them in Telford. I have good relationships with them all. So Euro for me is not that attractive.

As an event once a year in the UK like most things representing the UK it is in my opinion overly expensive when I compare it to Telford, Milton Keynes and Hornchurch.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  12. Pekka Active Member

Finland
    Pepe Gallardo
    Massimo Pasquali
    Mike Blank
    Danilo Cartacci
    Hardy Tempest
    Fernando Ruiz
    Jesus Martin
    Ray Farrugia
    David Zabrowski
    Michel Volquarts
    Alex ( Igguazo)
    A strong South Korean contingent ( Yoon,Whang, Kim,etc,) please excuse the spelling)(y)
    David Mitchell

A great list of talent posted by Brian. I wonder if any these gentlemen attend Telford, Milton Keynes or Hornchurch?
    Don and moz like this.
  13. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Do any of these guys go to Telford,Milton Keynes or Hornchurch.
    Pepe Gallardo
    Massimo Pasquali
    Mike Blank
    Danilo Cartacci
    Hardy Tempest
    Fernando Ruiz
    Jesus Martin
    Ray Farrugia
    David Zabrowski
    Michel Volquarts
    Alex ( Igguazo)
    David Mitchell
    I think the show is just not for you, which is fine,but if i attended any of the 3 shows you mention i certainly wouldn't rubbish them.If i can't say something positive about something that's special for people, i wouldn't comment at all.But that's only my opinion and of course you have yours.
    If you've got to count the pennies when you go to Euro,it's not the show for you.
    Brian
    Don and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. Ferris A Fixture

I've never attended Euro yet, but it is still the event I want to go to some day. When I hear there were less people this year, to me that sounds like an improvement. In other years the common complaint was that it was far too crowded to properly view the entries and traders.

Adrian
    Blind Pew, Edward and brian like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

If all folk can put forward is -ve comments then Euro is not for you so why bother going and then commenting ....or why not offer to help out at the show I am sure you will be welcomed .

As for the entrance fee it is a fair bit but there is always the early bird offers available before hand, any show is hard work to organise so lets all enjoy it..wherever they are held .

Nap
    Don and brian like this.
  16. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys
    I to have been going on and off to Euro for 20 years , I agree its an event and the getting together of friends meeting people who skills you admire , the art work of our peers , the social side is always great ,its great to put names to faces , hell took my dad one year and we were both awoken by cannons fireing on the prom lol Jesus that got the day going.....lol
    I understand the cost effects us in different ways ,as we all have different responsibilities and commitments , I was unable to go this year but will endeavour to attend next year .
    The Hobbie is in a constant state of change ,and change is very often difficult, I do feel for the trade stands with the costs that they have to fork out and what they have to sell just to break even , I like the other shows as well and look forward to getting to as many as I can . Have I had my moan in the past about judging ,styles of painting that seems to be hip of course I have do I lose any sleep over it ....no ....,its my opinion but any exposure of this " Art form " has to be good ,there are a few of you iam sure can remember the first issues of MM , the style of painting white eyes with black pupils on Tamiya German soldiers ,I was in bloody heaven looking at them a book dedicated to my secret love lol , its changed buy it on line know ,hobby shops few and far between , we do it on line .
    Looking at the figures in the flesh so to speak being enthused by skill of painting and sculpting , I always think of a story about Michealangelo when he sculpted "David " there is a crack on it and the story goes that when he completed it he was so pleased with the result that he hit it with his hammer and said " now speak to me " that's what makes us do what we do, we want our work to speak to us .
    What I am trying to say is that it changes some for the good some not so good ,but we have to keep the tactile element of meeting up shaking hands exchanging views ,haveing disagreements ,and attending the shows ,where ever they are will ensure this
    At the end of the day these events are a synergy of collective things as mentioned and I hope it continues as for it to fade away would be I feel a very sad loss for us all.
    Just my 2 cents
    Cheers Chris
    Blind Pew and Don like this.
  17. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

I live in Germany and its my ambition to go to Euro, I'm hopefully making the trip next year. I don't mind if its not packed with people so it makes it hard to see the figures on display, or to browse the stalls to look at whats on offer. I go to the model exhibition thats held yearly in the Panzer Museum in Munster Oertze (not nearly on the same scale as Euro) and its a nightmare as theres hundreds of people and you can't look properly. I would prefer if it were just me and the stall holders with a few people to talk to about model making. To me Pounds 10,00 is not a huge cost to enter, you'd probably spend more on a couple of pints (again I live in Germany and have no clue how much things cost in the UK) I would gladly pay the fee and spend a day just admiring other peoples work and getting some hints and tips to improve mine. Also I would get to meet the people who actually sculpt the figures I make, how many other hobbies can you actually meet the people who make the goods and have a chat with them, not many I'm sure.
    Don and brian like this.
  18. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a first attender at Euro I thought I'd give you my thoughts.

I'd wanted to go for years and luckily I had the opportunity to attend this year.

My aims were to see painters' work in the flesh, enter something into the competition, catch up with the MMM guys, meet up with PF guys and meet new friends, peruse the trade stands, experience Euro and of course splash some mullah.

I travelled down from Dundee in a train with Del, David Mitchell and Brian Snaddon (67). They kindly took me under their wings and I learnt a lot about Euro from them, as well as picking their brains about their techniques. They've been going for some time and never once gave me any negativity concerned with Euro. They were aware of changes regarding it but accepted that changes are inevitable and still stay positive about it.
    I could still see these guys were passionate about it.

I loved the experience of the ramshackle Southcliff Hotel which was an experience in itself.
    I paid for the two day ticket but that bought me more than the exhibition it bought me four days of priceless experiences with friends. I think if anyone buys a ticket for ten quid and leaves after two hours moaning about it have only themselves to blame not the organisers.

When I walked into the Leas I thought it was an excellent venue and was completely surprised by how many levels it had.
    I met up with the MMM guys just prior to opening time and could feel the buzz of anticipation from the traders still getting ready to sell. When I looked around I could feel my heart thumping at all the goodies on sale from the trade stands, I had a quick pole around and my wallet was already screaming "NO" from my hip pocket.

I met up with people whom I really wanted to meet and caught up with those I knew.

I thought it was extremely busy at times with some lulls but steady enough throughout the days.

I got goose bumps walking into the competition hall as I'd never seen anywhere near the amount of work on display and was blown away by the skill of some of the artists work. Their work has inspired me to try new things, try to up my game and has motivated me even more to stay in the hobby of figure modelling.

I thought it was an amazing experience from the start to the end. I quickly realised It wasn't all about Euro itself. It was about the anticipation, the journey, meeting Brian Snaddon(67), Del, David Mitchell, catching up with old friends, making new friends, The Venue, the hotel, dodgy breakfasts, the traders, the hustle bustle, pubs, cafes, restaurants and excitement.

Would I recommend people go?

Undoubtedly!
    Blind Pew, Don, kagemusha and 11 others like this.
  19. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I reckon a tenner is pretty good value, even if you only stay a couple of hours (?). It costs at least that to see a film at any multiplex cinema, buy a reasonably recent DVD etc.

Mike
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Euro is the new Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

- Steve
    Don and napoleonpeart like this.