1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Thinking of a redo on this Ray lamb Dragoon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ]Hi Guys.
    Dug this one out from the back of the cabinet,thinking off a strip down and repaint as it was over twenty years since its first take,a couple of bits missing
    IE Horse reins and bits ,so any help on these would be welcome.
    There is a bit of chipping beginning to show as well.
    Given the high cost of mounted stuff now thought it might be worthwhile
    and hopefully my technique has improved too.

Comments most welcome

Ron

Attached Files:

sarouman, ChaosCossack and mark761214 like this.
  2. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Ron think this would be a good project,still looks like ok by todays standards.Think Bonapartes do a lot of old Poste Militaire figures,they might be able to help you out.

Cheers Davie
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Ron, I like how you painted this 90mm horse from poste Militaire. If you are decided to repaint it, ok. I only would say that the green of the french dragoons coat is much darker and not so vivid. You must paint also the regimental number in the saddle pack.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    This plate of Rousselot can be helpful.

Dragones.jpeg
  5. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I used to have one of those until I found my 3 year old playing 'cliperty clop' across the dining room floor!!!:mad::love:

I'd hang it upside down in a plastic/Tupperware type thing full of cellulose thinners.

David
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Should keep you busy Ron.
    Looks a decent job to me, as it is though.
    Carl.(y)
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yeah, strip it & re-do it. You won't regret it for a moment.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi ron,i remember my first visits to euro in the late 80s and post militaire wer'e huge back then as they were the main distributor with historex,the figures in the display cabinets were breathtaking and blew me away,i seem to remember ray lamb did some mounted accessories for his red lancer trooper / trumpeter,i'm not sure if he did any for the dragoons though,i will really look forward to this mate,i have some old post militaire catalogue stuff tucked away somewhere,i'll try and find them and let you know mate.

Brian :)(y)
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nicely animated figure... will look great when you're completed!

Good luck
    Colin
  10. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi again Ron. I have found this a catalogue of Poste Militaire with this dragoon. At this moment the Amati italian mark is relaunching some Poste old figures. Maybe they can send to you the pieces you need.Contact of Amati, I take it from a thread of Luca Olivieri:

amatispa@libero.it

DragoonPoste.jpg

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Wish I could paint that well now:(:(:(
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Eduardo
    Thank you for the input Re Dragoon.
    The original painted figure which today would be considered box art was way out front regards skill then, albeit I doubt the horses for dragoons were so light in colour.

The Dragoon green! that is a strange one from the Rousselot plates.

I have been to the Musee de L'Armee and the colour of the the dragoons
    Habit was almost like green bias on a pool or snooker table and of about the same quality of cloth just like felt.
    There were a lot of dragoon regiments so that might account for the poor quality clothing.
    Your input is always valued.

Ron
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi david
    Unsure what to strip this with as with all Poste Militare stuff the the detail is fantastic as is the casting,so don't want to lose any of it.
  14. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    Well, if it looked this good painted twenty years ago, the redo should be amazing!
    One small thing, though. I remember this figure, and in the original, the dragoon's left hand is resting on the horse's flank to steady him as he looks back. Having his hand in the air makes him look, to my old eyes at least, as though he might be about to fall off! :sneaky:
  15. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Ron

Get a few bottles of 'revell aqua color clean'. It is designed for airbrush cleaning supposedly for acrylics but it strips just about anything, acrylics, enamels, oils and primers. leave it soaking for a day or so and use a toothbrush to clean it off. It wont damge metal but can start to make plastic and resin brittle if left in too long. Its not as harsh or smelly as cellulose.

Good luck

Neil
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You are right Phillip.

The original in Eduardo's picture is sitting snugger in the saddle with the hand flatter on the horse's rump so will address this in the revamp.

Ron
  17. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  18. Don Well-Known Member

Ronnie, I think I may have a disc which will help you with the colours. It seems to have all the regiments of the French Army at the time.
    Text me your address (or PM) and if I can get out tomorrow I will stick it in the post.

Don

Glad you are repainting it, the first one was Cr......
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That just made a hell of a mess of my laptop.
  20. Don Well-Known Member

Roger I was of course referring to the original, comparing it to how wonderful the repainted one will be..............."And that, Your Honour is the first part of my defence!!!!"

Don