1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Thick Mud Effect?

Discussion in 'Groundwork' started by PropBlast, Jun 29, 2021.

1. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've been racking my brains on how to create a thick liquid mud effect but what I really want to do is to create the rings of movement from a struggling animal or human who has fallen into deep mud. Any ideas?
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd have thought use putty as normal PB. Check out some tutorials on creating sculpted water and just alter the colours used.

Here's a close up of some waves I made using Miliput sculpted using water as a lubricant on the tools and brushes. Painted with acrylics and then gloss varnished. There's also various thick pastes available (Modge Podge springs to mind) or acrylic pastes for creating impasto effects which will suit what you're after.

Cheers
    Paul
    sea 2.jpg sea.jpg
    Jed, Nap, theBaron and 2 others like this.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, I've used acrylic gel for waves, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  4. Mike the Swede Active Member

For thick mud I use tube acrylics mixed with talcum powder, it dries quite hard and you can build it up in layers.
    Having done my fair share of Agincourt vignettes I have used this method several times! :)
  5. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi!

Have you tried this?

https://ak-interactive.com/product/terrains-muddy-ground-250ml/

Or this one:

https://ak-interactive.com/product/terrains-wet-ground-250ml/

I think we can add for example some plaster of Paris to any one of these, in order to make them thicker if needed.

Cheers!
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Great question and good replies as well , all helpful to the question

Nap
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I've also used ground pastel chalk mixed with water and dishwashing liquid, to make caked-on mud on things like tanks or trucks. I just add a drop or two of each liquid, enough to make a paste, and then apply it with an old paintbrush or even a toothpick. I use colors appropriate to the subject, eg, is it fresh mud, or dried? I can stick bits of fiber in it, if it's got bits of grass stuck in it. For fresh or wet mud, I'll touch it up with a little gloss acrylic (ie, Future). But I have chalks, water, and soap on hand, so it's convenient.

Prost!
    Brad