1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

They shall not grow old

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Helm, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    'Peter Jackson, best known for directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, has created a new film using original footage from Imperial War Museums’ extensive archive, much of it previously unseen, alongside BBC and IWM interviews with servicemen who fought in the conflict. Footage has been colourised, converted to 3D and transformed with modern production techniques to present never before seen detail.'

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD - 14-18 NOW

BBC One
    November 2018
    Nap, billyturnip, oldtrousers and 8 others like this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've seen the trailers for this - it looks amazing. I can't wait to see it.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I saw the interview with Peter Jackson which shown some of the footage, it was amazing to see what they have done with it, they have even used lip readers to work out what is being said in the silent film clips and then added voices and back ground noise. Looking forward to seeing the full version.

Steve
    housecarl and DEL like this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The lip readers struggled with the Lancashire Fusiliers in the Sunken Lane prior to the Somme, due to their strong accents.:cautious:
    Helm and 1969 like this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Being shown on Armistice day on the BBC
  7. Nap Moderator

England

That's fantastic to hear , this film is a classic already and such a moving and evocative thing to do

A tribute beyond words

Nap
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I've always felt too far removed from the times when viewing old movies/films, and that's even if I really get into the story. What they managed to do here is to drive the events, and the human element of those events much closer to home.

Joe
    1969 likes this.
  9. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The clarity of the film is staggering - it looks as if it was recorded yeaterday, not over 100 years ago. Seeing a tank underway and horse drawn artillery on the move was the icing on the cake.

Mike
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I went to see the 15+ version of this on Tuesday.
    it's an experience unlike watching a movie, this is a visual chronology of the land war using cleaned and coloured film at the correct speed.
    aound effects and accurate dialogue have been added from the IWM and BBC sound archives too.
    There is no attempt to documentarise the footage, just real people relating their experience.
    Yesterday a junior version was also broadcast.
    in addition Peter Jackson revealed that he has cleaned up and corrected the speed and black and white resolution of the complete IWM archive so that future documentaries can have fewer 'Charle Chaplins' on film.
    it was a rewarding experience on the big screen and I shall get a DVD if it's released that way.

We will remember them
    1969, Blind Pew and Helm like this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    What sort of running time does it have mate?
    Steve
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    150 minutes in the cinema Steve.
    I don't know about the 'junior version' of course.
    Could be two episodes?
    or all on BBC3 ?
    Helm likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Ta mate
    Steve
    peedee likes this.
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    peedee and Helm like this.
  15. Helm A Fixture