1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"The Warlord" / Mongol

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I started the 1/4 scale bust today that my wife had given me for Christmas. Here the kit is layed out to see all the armor attachments and the horns that will be attached as soon as the flesh step is complete.

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I brought out the drill press and double pegged the bust to the resin base supplied with the kit. I also attached the bust to a work base for ease of handling.

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I knew I had those big brushes for a good reason. I brushed on R9 primer (floquil) to give the paint a "bite" as I do with all my figures. Here he is primed and then under the heat lamp (too big for crock pot).

Attached Files:

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I should of posted this with the kit laid out (duh) but forgot to. This is the box art of the finished bust. Verlinden #1390 1/3 scale (I thought it was 1/4 )

Attached Files:

5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I can't wait to see how this paints up for you, Guy. This is one eye catching piece.
    There a several VL busts that look really nice and the one I have been working on was really well molded and detailed.

Keith
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Keith,
    I have wanted this one since I saw it last summer and my wife told me Santa would help me out. She had a real problem finding it here in the states but finally did through Black Knight figures. Every since I saw it the bust reminded me of the Movie "Highlander III", in which the Mongol Imortal was unearthed and challenged the Highlander. I will vary my version from the box art some and it will be titled "There Can Be Only One"
  7. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Black Knight not only has a good selection of VL and Pegaso but there prices are pretty darn good too. I ordered a VL Black Knight from them and got it within two days!

You know, the only thing I remember from "Highlander" was Sean Connery playing a Spanish swordsman using a japanese samurai style sword (wakazashi?).
    Yikes!

Keith
  8. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi guy
    That bust is some size, I am sure you are going to enjoy
    painting it. what a terriffic expressive face.
    look forward to in progress pics.

Frank (y)
  9. Elia Cid New Member

Hi Guy,
    I know you side you primed the piece it looks awesome!
    If it's not too late ,or in the future you might want to try, after you clean the piece,
    As you would normaley, instead prime it with sliver paint from Krylon paints as part of a two part priming system, advantages are, thinner particles atomization, can be brushed on, has good tooth as ground, and covers immediately, any color molding instantly, dries all most to the touch!
    And all you have to do is give it a dusting with watered down light gray or white (XF2) Tamiya paint afterwards.

The relief will be crispier and sharper!

Try it some time, and let me know how you like it!

Happy painting
    Alex
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Alex,
    If the primer I use, Floquil, becomes as hard as their enamels to get, I may give your suggestion a try. I have used floquil spray primer for years and years and like the fact that as it dries, it shrinks tight around the subject. The spray primer comes in gray and base white.
  11. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Guy I can't wait to see you aplly your style to this big fella.

I am gonna be watching this post eagerly

Robin
  12. johnbrewer New Member

Guy I am having problrms getting my head around this. How tall and wide is this piece. It looks HUGE.
  13. Patrick Kirk New Member

Alex,
    Ok...I am not tracking on the whole sliver (was that supposed to be silver?) primmer...could you please expand on that? Thanks

Patrick
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comments guys, I have primed the bust and have given the flesh areas 2 coats of Humbrol 121 that the tube oils will be going on. Hope to do the flesh later today.

John - The size is 6 3/4 inches high and 4 3/4 inches wide at the shoulder. Once I attach the horns to the top of the helmet he will be about 8 inches tall.
    all comments welcome.

Attached Files:

15. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    looking forward to the flesh going on it Guy.

Robin
  16. johnbrewer New Member

The thing is massive. Air brush for this one?.
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    All brushes for this one too John, although a bigger brush is used!

guy
  18. johnbrewer New Member

Guy, I think I would have to tape my entire collection of brushes together too make a start on that size!!!!!!.
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here is the Warlord with the adjacent color areas base painted and the helmet with 1 of 2 washes. There are 3 different colors (brands) of gun metal used here. Andrea leather used for the straps which will be washed and drybrushed with Humbrol leather later.

Attached Files:

20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The eyes have been painted in with floquil "Dirty White". You can see the difference in the metal colors with the helmet recieving 1 wash of acrylic black and the chest armor just being base painted.

Attached Files: