1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique The Trophy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All
    This piece was actually painted some months ago and sat on the shelf unbased until this weekend.
    The figure is a 54mm Andrea called "The Trophy"... the trophy being the French cavalry sword this Prussian Infantryman is carrying from the field of the Battle of Sedan.
    It was painted with Vallejo acrylics. The base is yet another old hockey trophy chopped down. The groundwork includes a kepi and mess pan from a plastic French infantry kit.
    Thanx for looking in. All thoughts are welcome. As usual the pics suck because my camera sucks:oops:

Cheers

Colin

IMGP0001.jpg IMGP0002.jpg IMGP0004.jpg IMGP0005.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0007.jpg IMGP0008.jpg IMGP0009.jpg IMGP0010.jpg IMGP0011.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work.
    Some remarks if I may: the blue on the back has some red in it trough the red stripes you paint. Maybe you should go back with the blue to cover it.
    The gold on the helmet needs some texture; You can do that trough a wash with raw umber.

Marc
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Marc
    Good eye! Just noticed the slight bleeding of the piping, thanx for pointing it out. I had washed the brass with a sepia ink, but you my be right that it's not standing out enough. As I look at the pictures, the face might need a touch of highlighting. The helmet and beard kind of overpower the face.
    Thank you for your imput.

Colin
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    You rushed this one a little bit but with few touches here and there will look very good! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice uniform. Great groundwork. And very nice idea re. the trophy. I like the dark blue as its often painted too light.

You can pick at the tips of the helmet trim with a wee bit of silver. That can be washed with raw umber inl or oil if it needs toning down. Sepia for burnt umber work well for the recesses.

Colin
  6. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Nice job on this one Colin - I particularly like the staging/storytelling elements on the base - nice compositional devices!

Cheers,

Brian
    combatartist likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno, Colin and Brian... your imput is much appreciated as always. There are a few touches to be made to bring this up to snuff for sure. He's sat spiked to a cork since I finished the painting in March until I got my head more around the groundwork aspect. Thanx to help and advice from other PF members, I have a little more confidence in my groundwork. Now I try to put a little more thought into it than just some static grass and maybe a few rocks and twigs:wacky:

Thanx Guys(y)

Colin
  8. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I think it is a good work. Perhaps you can work a bit more his beard ? Look a bit too uniform I think. And I agree for the gold of the helmet. Not easy to paint.

What do you think of the sculpture of this figure ? I like it ! Easy to assemble ?

Laurent
  9. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    Very nice job! (y)

Andrea
  10. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    I think you have made a good work all over. I agree with the previous comments of the others. Good idea and nice ground work too.
    If you allow me an observation, be careful with the assembly of parts, the left arm seems that is a bit far from the shoulder. I think it needs to be filled.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia

Pussian.jpg
  11. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Ah Nice work Colin!! The base is nice, well thought ;) I agree with Eduardo, watch out for gaps :p

Best Regards
    Pedro
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Over all I like it and you did well on the base.
    Cheers
    John
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you all for your comments and advice... It always helps to have new eyes to see what I may have missed or give a fresh opinion. On the other hand, Eduardo, I'm gonna hide your fancy little pointer in a very tall tree :p:ROFLMAO: Seriously though I would have missed that gap at the shoulder strap with my faulty, old-ish eyes :facepalm:

This is how I improve... Cheers

Colin
    Edorta likes this.