1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Thrust AD 80 by ANDREA MINIATURES

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by ANDREA EUROPE, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ANDREA EUROPE Active Member

The Thrust AD 80 (La estocada)
    Reference: US24-F001
    Scale 1:24
    Size: 75mm

Scenic Base and Leaflet included
    Ready to assemble cast resin and metal kit.
    Painted By Carlos Royo

The Romans invaded Scotland (then called Caledonia) in late 1st century AD. There they meet a formidable enemy: the Picts. These Celtic warriors emerged unexpectedly from the woods in a hit-and-run movement that took the confident Romans totally by surprise, striking when their guard was down.
    Roman infantry was but poorly fitted to confront an adversary like that. When they took over a Pict village, the warriors would immediately moved to another one and prepared to strike back; so constantly frustrating the theoretically superior Roman forces by refusing to fight in their way…

Any reconstruction about how Pict culture really was has forcibly to rely on period Roman accounts, in most cases foggy and scarce, as by the side of the Picts themselves there are little more than a scattered handful of archaeological remains. According with some modern historians the Picts weren’t a particularly fierce people and lived in peace until the arrival of the Romans. A peculiar notion anyway when considering their proved military efficacy against the invaders and the fact that Scotland never surrender to them.

This miniature composition depicts a symbolic encounter between a Roman legionary and a Pict sword man about to succumb to the fatal thrust of one of the famous gladius that conquered the ancient world but failed to submit the Picts…

EU PURCHASING LINK: https://www.andreaeurope.com/en/1/a...al-serie/2453/us24-f001-the-thrust-ad-80.html

USA PURCHASING LINKS: https://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/1...al-serie/2453/us24-f001-the-thrust-ad-80.html

US24-F001 01.jpg US24-F001 02.jpg US24-F001 03.jpg US24-F001 04.jpg US24-F001 DETALLES.jpg DESPIECE ROMANO Y PICTO 1.24 OK.jpg
    Ferris, Nap, NeilW and 5 others like this.
  2. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    the eyes are photoshopped ... lol
    Blind Pew, NeilW, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice vignette
    The painted version is less tempting, the skin tone with acrylic suggest the celt just raised from the deaths (IMHO)
    Blind Pew likes this.
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I suppose there's a balance to be sought between what is red-haired peoples' often very fair (sometimes almost white) skin and the tanning that they'd gain from their daily (largely outdoor?) life.

Assuming that he'd be wearing some form of top much of the time (get's chilly and midgey in good old Caledonia) then he'd probably be more like so many of us in the summer months with tanned (perhaps burnt) face and forearms but 'peely-wally' over the torso etc. In fact the sort of look (red behind the knees/redneck) that many white Europeans serving in hotter/sunnier climes should display, but is rarely see on figs.

Plus he may well have freckles (where did I recently see a be-freckled red-haired Irish ACW fig?).

Check out Rupert Grint
    Mirofsoft and Nap like this.
  6. MrBMB A Fixture

The Roman just holding onto just the arm would look interesting in a blood thirsty way!!
  7. grenadier Member

United-Kingdom
    I know this sounds a bit wet, but I can’t collect miniatures that depict an act of violence.
    NeilW likes this.
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  9. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Do you mean that some of those redheads appear tanned (whilst others don't)?

The site (Google translated) says:
    Red skin contains a low concentration of melanin. She is therefore very pale and fears ultraviolet rays more than blond or brown skin. However, it produces more vitamin D when there is little light. Redheads are also more sensitive to cold and heat.

I have two cousins and an old school friend who are redheads and daren't go out in bright sun without factor million sunscreen.

But this usefully explains the genetics which allows some redheads to tan and others not:
    https://gingerparrot.co.uk/why-can-some-redheads-tan-while-others-cant/

And this talks about lack of eumelanin
    https://gingerparrot.co.uk/why-cant-redheads-tan/
  10. Trevorkats Active Member

nice but better in the standard size 54mm shame
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No, not really, it's fine.
    OldTaff likes this.
  12. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Whereas 54mm used to be the standard figure size, 75mm has superseded it to a large extent. Slightly more expensive, yes, but greater detail can be produced.
    This also gives my poor old eyes a fighting chance.....can no longer cope with 54mm.
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  13. Trevorkats Active Member

yeap your replying to all my 54mm scales comments , your very anti 54mm , all I am stating it a more popular size, for dioramas, and space
    Mirofsoft likes this.