1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Steam Punk Challenge

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by david pickford, Oct 4, 2014.

1. david pickford Active Member

Telford is only weeks away, and that means only one thing! Stefan Marcetti and Steam punk!!!
    Now I don't know what Steam punk is, but who cares! There's still time to do a Steam punk offering of my own! here it is - Scale 75s rendition of 'Sarah Kilmister'. Here's where I got up to, end of today-

IMG_3073.jpg IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3075.jpg IMG_3076.jpg IMG_3063.jpg
    theBaron, Joe55, ChaosCossack and 6 others like this.
  2. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work so far mate. Cool figure,nice colours.
  3. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Really nice David!

Great work.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Indeed that's very nicely done so far David. I love the setting too.

Xenofon
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work so far.

Marc
  6. david pickford Active Member

thank you all gents. This is my first 'fantasy' let alone steampunk subject, but I was impressed at Euro with the work on show in that category- especially the paint methods. I've started on Sarah's bike today- there's lots of opportunity with this project to experiment with NMM methods that I've only just discovered!
    IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3084.JPG
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Great stuff, coming along nicely. I think its great that you can look at other Genre's and see the talent that goes into other forms of our hobby, and even better that you are having a go yourself. Not many will do that. Cant wait to see the finished product
    Ben
  8. david pickford Active Member

Thanks Ben- I'd be hard pushed to say what my own area of modelling is- so fantasy is fair game. At Euro I went for scratchbuilt figs painted busts, military vehicle dioramas ( and vignettes) flat figure groups -among others. At Telford I'm going to have a go at the ship category too
  9. david pickford Active Member

having some fun with the NMM! With the background of a tankie, I can honestly say I was barely aware of this technique until Euro just, when I bought the Scale 75 NMM set and saw what the fantasy modellers were up to...
    IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG
    Mariobusta, theBaron and Joe55 like this.
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work David (y)! She looks quite the hottie!

Joe
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    She looks great! If I might offer an observation, it's only that the transitions between shades and highlights seem a little sharp, that they might be blended a little more. On her belly, for example, and on her girls and on her thighs.

Prost!
    Brad
  12. david pickford Active Member

Thanks Joe and Brad!
    Brad, everyone tells me about that about my acrylic blending. I must admit I don't strive for the super smooth look that can look a bit plastic and bland IMHO, but I admit that I would like to get a smooth look on her skin. I'm onto your observation- especially around the tummy. Neither bike nor Sarah is complete, I work em up to a point till I get bored or I am starting to get a nice look and then move onto other elements so it all builds up together. I haven't worked the rear of the figure or the other side of the bike up to the same degree of what you see either- but I"m keeping that out of sight for now!
    theBaron likes this.
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'm still puzzled by blending acrylics, too, David. I'm so used to using oils for that very reason, that it's so easy to blend.
  14. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I really like your bold style ,it suits this type of figure well . You seem to be making some fast progress too ,wish I could paint that quickly . Look forward to seeing more .

Cheers
    Neil
  15. david pickford Active Member

Gents, thanks for your thoughts. Actually, I have progressed this one quite a lot to day. Following Baron's comments I have done some more smoothing of the tummy and legs. I don't know about the photos, but there is a sacrifice involved. Acrylics have some of the quality of watercolours- anyone interested in art will know they have a translucency and colour vibrancy unmatched. By layering more and more colours ( to get the smoothing effect) you get a duller, less lively effect. I think if you are one of those modellers who places great store by invisible transitions between shade and light, then the more scholarly oil painting method is best.

I'm sticking with acrylics! I find them more expressive...
    IMG_3146.JPG IMG_3147.jpg
  16. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Great work! Well done then, perhaps better now. But really good both times.
  17. david pickford Active Member

Thank you Os- I got a base from Oakwood studios made to measure. It fits! Last pics... I even painted my pimpernel avatar onto her right bum cheek as a tattoo to make her my own. I have an up skirt pic if you want to see it!
    IMG_3215.jpg IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3218.jpg IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3225.jpg IMG_3225.jpg