1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP The Shepherd

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Sep 16, 2018.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Glad to have you along mate (y)
  2. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    And good warm tipple
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Interesting SBS......So what you're saying is the scrub coat is straight from the tube; "but" you have to know how the following thinned layers will effect the colour of the scrub coat in trying to achieve the finished result. Did that make any sense? I'm pretty sure it's the same basic principle as acrylics or any paint for that matter. Sorry Ron, I'm only trying simplify your technique for my own simple mind who uses basically acrylics.:)

Wayne
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Straight from the tube....yes....in that I use no additives/thinners....the term 'thinning back' refers to the brushing off of the excess paint...not the consistency.
    Yes....you have to understand how each layer will interact with the next in terms of colour changes when using transparent layers.
    Regards the principle....this technique does not rely on blending as such....as with traditional acrylics and oils techniques....but uses the transparency of the colours in wet over dry layers...as opposed to wet on wet traditional oils and acrylics...to give a perceptual colour change between the layers....as opposed to mixed or blended.
    A simple technique...very much so...certainly in the application of the paint itself it's no different from any other medium...the difference being in understanding perceptual colour mixing as well as actual.
    Personally....acrylics are a dark art to me...tried them and failed miserably.....oils I understand and enjoy.
    Hope that makes sense....feel free to question me on the technique any time.

Regards

Ron
    grasshopper likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok, I’m in. Following, but you would know that already.

Mark.
    kagemusha likes this.
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whilst letting the previous bits dry I moved onto the basic shield woodwork....need to get the base colours done...and I can then plan out a design...which will leave the metals and straps.
    I decided to add plank lines and an edging strip to the shield as it didn't look quite right without these details....sorry Hugo.
    I used just the light grey primer...with no white mist coats...which meant only about 4 hours drying and it was ready to work on.
    First up was a scrub coat mix of Cinnaber Green...Green Umber and Transparent Brown....which was applied to both sides of the shield and left for 10 minutes before the thinning back as per usual.

1A.jpg 1C.jpg

Next up was to add some depth and shadows....for this I used a mix of Transparent Oxide Red Lake...Green Umber and Neutral Tint....and applied it with a worn out No 2 point....in the areas I want the required depth and shadows.

1D.jpg

Next comes the blending in of the colours....and for this I use a different approach to my usual and use stippling to achieve the effect I want....I find this works very well with the transparent's....and gives me more control.
    Once that is done I lightly dab the surface with a piece of make up sponge to give some wear.

1F.jpg 1G.jpg

Next in line will be the sword and dagger.

to be continued.....
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Just like the old days eh mate :arghh:
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was thinking that earlier., it was the shield that triggered the sense of deja-vu! That was auld Eric the Viking bust, if I remember correctly.

Mark.
    kagemusha likes this.
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

The very same....except he was a Gaul :rolleyes:.....and the subject of the SBS that started all this :eek:
  10. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Ron - this is looking lovely so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing more. The timing is perfect as this compliments the SBS I just started for the new bust I'm doing ;)

Regards,
    Phil
    kagemusha likes this.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Cheers for comment Phil.....and yeah....I am following your SBS :sneaky:
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have spent some time on the next stages of this bust....next layer of flesh colour.....base layer of clothing....and got the sheepskin done.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Next comes the killer....having taken some photo's.....I was returning the pieces to the bench area...tripped...dropped the lot....and in trying to avoid them...managed to tread on the shield...right arm....and the sheepskin....completely destroying them!!!!

So if anyone out there wants a spare head....left arm....torso and weapons....they are yours for the cost of postage.

END OF SBS
  13. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

14. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Damn... Sorry about that! :(

Sent you a PM mate.

Dolf
  15. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Damn, that’s such a shame. It was coming on a treat. Accidents happen, but it’s still infuriating when it happens.

Mark
    kagemusha likes this.
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Disappointing......Ye shall recover....

Wayne
    kagemusha likes this.