1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

Completed Critique The Sentry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe55, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Greetings all, I actually finished this figure a few months ago after he sat in storage for several years. I rather suddenly got the urge to work on him after reading 'The Memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne, 1812-1813', whose recollections were initially published in 1857. Needless to say I really got into what these men were all about and what they went through. Andrea's 90mm Imperial French Grenadier (1805-1813) is based on the painting by Edouard Detaille. I used Andrea and Vallejo acryllics throughout, but will mention that I did make use of Andrea's Blue Paint Set for the coat, and the White Paint Set for the waistcoat, breeches and gaiters. Please let me know if you see something that needs fixing.

Joe

2013-07-04_19.53.59.jpg

2013-07-04_19.51.52.jpg

2013-07-04_19.53.18.jpg
  2. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cracking good paint job on this excellent sculpt Joe.
    Joe55 likes this.
  3. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Great work on the colours, particularly the whites. That's brilliant painting mate!
    Joe55 likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Joe.
    Great brush skills on a fine piece
    Cheers
    Keith
    PS nothing to fix here.
    Joe55 likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Joe,
    Very crisp, clean, subtle painting as Keith said nothing to fix.
    cheers
    Richie
    Joe55 likes this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice indeed Joe.

Roger.
    Joe55 likes this.
  7. Edward A Fixture

England
    You've done a great job on this!
    Joe55 likes this.
  8. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint .
    Joe55 likes this.
  9. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    I don't think it needs anything more! Looks great!!

Regards
    Pedro
    Joe55 likes this.
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Lovely work Joe, especially the whites.
    You know me ;-) Perhaps could do with a little wear 'n tear unless he's going on parade.

Mike
    Joe55 likes this.
  11. YDGIN Active Member

Russian-Federation
    I very like your painting.
    Although in my opinion, can be more clearly shed a pen, and then brightened.
    Joe55 likes this.
  12. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Lovely stuff.

Jeff
    Joe55 likes this.
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Exceptional painted.

marc
    Joe55 likes this.
  14. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Very nice Joe, I've been working in this myself for months, you've encouraged me to get on and finish it, for me it is one of the best in the Andrea catalogue and your painting has done it justice.

Keith
    Joe55 likes this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow! You've transformed what I've always considered to be a rather "boring" piece into a real treat for the eyes. The painting and tones are spot-on. Well done!

- Steve
    Joe55 likes this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Mike S
    Nick
    Keith
    Richie
    Roger
    Edward
    Captain Lol
    Pedro
    YDGIN
    Jeff
    Marc

I appreciate each and everyone of you for checking him out. Thanks for your comments and encouraging remarks!

Mike (-the Kiwi) - You know the thought occurred to me, but somehow that's as far as it got! As I was looking at the pictures I thought: shoot, I forgot to put some light dust on his shoes. I've got to work on my weathering skills and I think the biggest hurdle is just the fear of goofing it up. I need to look at more of your stuff :wideyed:! Thanks for looking him over!

Keith (Tecumsea) - I've always thought it to be an awesome sculpt, and the only tricky part is fixing the left arm with the rifle. You'll be happy in the end. Thanks for your comments!

Steve - Thanks! It was a real joy to paint!
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant joe,the whites are beautifully done and very striking,it's a great job,you must be pleased you restarted it now :)
    Joe55 likes this.
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Joe,as others have said you have done an incredible job on this figure.
    the blues and whites loos very well painted with subtle transitions between lights and shadows.
    i would have probably painted the gaiters in a different tone of white just to make that garment different from the pants and vest but that is a matter of preference andshould not be takung in consideration.
    you've really done justice to this trooper and i am glad you have red about it.
    i always find that reading the history behind this figures we paint it pays a respect i a certain way and is more interesting.
    best regards
    Jaybo and Joe55 like this.
  19. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Wonderful rendition!

Pedro.
    Joe55 likes this.
  20. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Joe.
    Joe55 likes this.