1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique The Rancor

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Apr 14, 2012.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    Here is my lastest completion off the bench. It's AMT/Ertl's large Vinyl kit of the Rancor from Return of the Jedi. Its one of the most awesome sculpts I have ever seen but not the easiest kit to put together. The height of the overall kit is 26cm/10in.
    I slightly changed the position of the right arm holding the Gamorean Guard to be slightly higher and closer to his mouth, and altered the Guards head and arms to look more scared.
    Being a vinyl kit, I had to paint everything in acrylics (new for me) and mainly used Jo Sonja's range which I found to be a great medium to use. The only problem I had was the paints drying rather quickly due to our hot climate at the moment. I tried heaps of technuiques and colours to give it an organic looking skin tone such as sponging under mist coats using the airbrush. Also a bit of artistic liscence here and there helped.
    Thanks for looking
    Ben

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      407.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      355.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      482 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      489.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      670.2 KB
      Views:
  2. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fantastic results(y) I never noticed the earring before in the movie. I'd say for your first in acrylics, you have mastered that medium rather quickly.
  3. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Love it! The base is nice too. I have one of these in my stash of kits. I hope I can do as nice a job as you have once I get around to it.
    Gerald
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Tom, the earring was originally sculpted into the kit but I removed it and made a new one. Thanks for your comments. For such and iconic creature of the movies, its only on screen for about a minute
    Hi Gerald, glad you like him, I had this one sitting for about 10 years until I got around to it!!! Its definaltely worth it, a bit of effort getting the joins to line up and a fair bit of putty work but the end result speaks for itself
    Ben