1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review The Raider from Nocturna

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, May 16, 2011.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all ,
    Well you might have guessed that I rather like busts !!!!

Nocturna Models who are a new company based in Madrid, Spain. Run by the enthusuastic & talented Jesus Martin , I was delighted to see a new release and to be able to purchase the one called "The Raider"

Here's the original post:

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showpost.php?p=397802&postcount=1

Most would think this is a Viking but it could just as easily be a Saxon , so the choice is yours on the nameplate once you have finished the painting .

Before then lets have a look at the chosen review model :

A joint release by : Jonathon Monerris and Jesus Martin

Bust Reference Number : NB 05

Title: The Raider

Scale: 1:10th

Material: Resin

Packed in a clear blister pack consisting of a 2 piece casting in a gray resin consisting of the man full bust and an optional nasal bar .

Personally I would have liked to see a little better packing which although adequete could be improved on and the pieces secured in a separate bag to prevent loosing the nasal bar in the carpets !!!

Also included is a coloured card showing 2 different angled views of the painted bust .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    On opening the packing up , and after picking up the nasal bar from the carpet !!!! my first impressions was WOW ..a great subject with lots of detail to be admired (more later)

Absolutely NO casting lines were evident and I again used my "eyes" ..the optivisor ..well done to Nocturna for that .

Looking at the way as its put into the packaging there is what I initially thought to be a part of the base as it was so smooth , but after a bit of investigation this has proved to be a very nice casting plug !!!!! (Thanks to SK miniatures for the help and for Jesus for the picture he sent)

Removal of this was very easily done using a razor saw leaving a very nicely details pillar base suitable "knocked about"

The bust itself is an absolute mass of fine details , great sculpting which is brought out by the casting , all details are extremely well done , he is wearing a conical helmet that can be finished with or without the nasal bar (good idea this) .

Note: I had already added the chin ties before I decided to share this beauty with all on PF

He has long hair and braided hair pieces (pigtails in the UK I believe ..best ask my daughter!!!) , all of which will benefit from careful painting and washes to bring out the superb details.

In amogst the hair are the cheek pices of the helmet , this looks really natural with the hair falling over .

Facial details are one of a hardened veteran of many battles in the name of Odin (guess I went for the Viking!!) , together with a beard and nice undercutting inbetween the neck and the cloak. Eyes are also well defined , again making painting easy resulting in a distinctive and original bust .

Note the picture with the "fingers" is one from Nocturna as a result of my base query...thanks Jesus

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets have a look at the amazing details that have been incorporated into this bust so just enjoy the pictures :

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Finally my thoughts on this release:

Conclusion:

Apart from my comment ref the packaging the casting plug on the base (which is as I said easily removed) this is an absolute cracker of a piece , full of detail and character , I like the option to use the nasal bar , a nice touch .

RECOMMENDED without hesitation

You can purchase this and other from Nocturna at a cost of 20 euro's plus shipping by contacting:

www.historicartminiatures.com

info@historicartminiatures.com

In the UK you can get it from SK Miniatures at

www.skminiatures.co.uk

Finally lets have the website pictures that have brought this bust to life

Nap

Attached Files:

5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Kevin for the Review, the photos really highlight the impressive sculpting (y)
  6. amomfaretos Active Member

Greece
    Excellent painting also with good review!!!
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Kevin, he is looking great.
  8. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    A real pleasure to paint in a really comfortable scale. Glad you like my version.
    Regards
    FeR
  9. War Griffon Active Member

United-Kingdom
    You must have got this at the Midlands show Kev when I picked up mine from SK :D

It is a very nice bust and I agree with the review completely although I am not sure about the ties on the cheek guards I am sure I will get a better look at what you have done tomorrow.