1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The online start up funding craze.....

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by Jamie Stokes, May 20, 2013.

1. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    On Facebook (yes, I do that thing....) there seems to be an ever increasing amount of "start-up/ kick-starter/ crowd-funded" postings.....

most of the ones I see (and do not participate in) are for the tabletop gaming market.... marching your little soldiers or robots across the table, death decided by dice roll...... just pledge or donate a small amount here please.....

Here's an interesting article on the hazards of these ventures.....

http://www.fortressfigures.com/kcontos/before.html

And here is my response after reading the article (direct quote of myself)

I really liked this article! just goes to show.... The gap between planning and reality can only be covered by experience, materials, effort and time; normally measured in the amount of "Lots of". Just because you can scribble it down on paper or knock it out on your computer in a day, doesn't mean you can have it in your sweaty little hands day after tomorrow...

Now I have supported a start up caster in the past, the "Happy Monk" by Ernst Veingart. The difference was he produced a real, tangible sculpt, that had already been cast, and was ready to be sold.
    Not a digitally beautiful sculpt, with add on this, option that, 15 choices of weapons, and so on.....

The difference (to me) is the commitment to a tangible result.

Ok, I can hear "yes, 3-d printing/ rapid prototyping is on it's way" as a rebuttal. I'm not fussed if it's sculpted traditionally, printed out like an incredibly complicated layer cake made out of resin, or hammered into shape out of duck down and refined by Bavarian monks..... Process isn't an issue, a tangible result is a key.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ernst Veingarts "Happy Monk" which sits proudly amongst my completed (aka Tangible result) figures.

And now, just to reward those who have read this article through.....

On the Sunday 19th May, I helped out with the barbeque for the volunteers for the Kodomo no Hi (Children's day) festival.
    I brought my dog along as Ambassador of goodwill, and he made a few new friends. Brushed his fur, wore a bow tie...... Balloons tied to harness as an attention getter, and to high visibility. So no-one would trip over the balloons, or the cute little dog underneath....

[IMG]

[IMG]
    One of the ladies was missing her dog, back in Japan, so Tenzing gave her a cuddle. Big friendly smiles all round.....she felt a lot better after the furry cuddle therapy.

And making others a little bit happier...... good day.....

Continue reading...