1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review The Old Gnome from War Griffon Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all in this new year ,

2012 brings the fun back into modelling with the release of a fantasy bust from a new company War Griffon Miniatures , this is the brainchild of our very own "War Griffon" aka Martyn Dorey .

You will have seen painted versions of this bust already on PF so its my pleasure to present this review for you ........

The subject looks like a well known character in the film Labryinth called the Hoggle in which the body was performed by Shari Weiser with the voice and face being done by Jim Henson (he of muppets fame). In the film he is a dwarf who lives in the Labyrinth with various odd jobs, such as exterminating fairys and collecting shiny objects and is also terrified of the Bog of Eternal Stench!!! ,people often have difficulty remembering Hoggle's name, and so the character is referred to as Higgle, Hogwart, Hedgewart, and Hogbrain.

All of which must have been great inspiration for this fun sculpt .

Moving onto the model itself:

Subject : The Old Gnome

Sculptor: Raul Fernandez Romo

Box Art: Adrian Hopwood

Scale: Approx 50mm high

Material : Resin

The model arrived all boxed up , surrounded by foam chippings , all good stuff preventing the postal system from damaging anything ...the model itself is well secured in a flip top clear plastic holder inside which was a sealed bag with the pieces in , these were packed against a foam backing , behind which was a nicely presented backing card complete with boxart in full colour.

There are a total of 3 pieces , cast in a dark gray resin , these being the main torso , the arm and the pipe .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

Wheels likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look at the main piece now :

This consists of the lower torso (finishing at mid chest) with a small pedastal base together with the left sleeve with the head itself also being cast completely within .

Looking at facial features ....I LOVE THEM , all wrinkly and almost leathery looking , wonderfully aged details on the neck area , the furrowed brow , the mouth features , the turned up nose , the raised eyebrows the pointed ears complete with earring ..all so full of character ..mischevious and wise as well...all which adds to the FUN, FUN, FUN .

He wears a well patched headgear , each piece has the stitching well defined ...great chance to do various leather effects if you so wish.(Carl Barton put a fried egg on his version!!!!) , his hair is poking out of the top and from underneath , again well sculpted .

He is wearing a waistcoat with a large collared shirt under , there is so much to take in this area as well from the rips on the waistcoat (there is a fine casting line to deal with at the back of the waistcoat) ,the floppy collarof the shirt , the nicely detailed buttons , the stitching at the shoulder of the waistcoat....all great stuff ..

The shirt sleeves are very well done , the left being rolled up , there is a small casting block to remove from under the lower arm , the locating area for the actual arm is very well done , providing a really good fit .

The small pedastal base is also cast on , with a easily cut excess piece of resin at the bottom , you could of course remove the pedastal and fit a brass rod.

The main piece has great undercuts , folds on the shirt are well done , all details are well defined both in sculpting and casting ..this will surely assist the painting process .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

• G9.jpg
      G9.jpg
      File size:
      198.9 KB
      Views:
    • G10.jpg
      G10.jpg
      File size:
      200.6 KB
      Views:
    • G11.jpg
      G11.jpg
      File size:
      196.3 KB
      Views:
    • G12.jpg
      G12.jpg
      File size:
      199 KB
      Views:
    • G13.jpg
      G13.jpg
      File size:
      201.4 KB
      Views:
    • G14.jpg
      G14.jpg
      File size:
      208.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Can't resist showing you close up pictures of the great details that have been sculpted in the main piece so ...ENJOY (y)

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

• G15.jpg
      G15.jpg
      File size:
      183.9 KB
      Views:
    • G16.jpg
      G16.jpg
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
    • G17.jpg
      G17.jpg
      File size:
      207.2 KB
      Views:
    • G18.jpg
      G18.jpg
      File size:
      124 KB
      Views:
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets have a look at the remaining 2 pieces , the arm and the pipe:

Firstly the arm , this is the lower left arm from the elbow , there is a small casting plug to take off easy with a razor saw and sanding blocks , once removed the corresponding lug fits solidly into the recess in the shirt itself .

The arm is full of veins and wrinkly area's, the opened hand is of particular note, (this is ready to receive the pipe using the small cutouts) , it also has a nicely done ring on a finger , these are also well done and in keeping with the character of the piece.

Moving on to the pipe , once the casting plug has been removed fit into the hand is good using the small lugs on the pipe provided .

The pipe itself has some nice graining on it , its full of his chosen tobacco , nicely done as well .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

• G4.jpg
      G4.jpg
      File size:
      203.5 KB
      Views:
    • G5.jpg
      G5.jpg
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
    • G6.jpg
      G6.jpg
      File size:
      190.5 KB
      Views:
    • g5 (2).jpg
      g5 (2).jpg
      File size:
      129.6 KB
      Views:
    • G7.jpg
      G7.jpg
      File size:
      103.9 KB
      Views:
    • G8.jpg
      G8.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets put it all together now and you will get the full and wonderful effect of this fun piece ...so enjoy these shots that Martyn sent me (this is a display piece he had at Bugle Call) as well .

Display piece or not we are having FUN are we not guys (y)

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

6. Nap Moderator

England
    Finally my thoughts on this release :

It can be put in one phrase really (y)"FUN, FUN, FUN"(y)

I am really pleased that I got this bust , not being a subject I would normally go for , but I am converted to look closer at the fantasy sculpts more .

The sculpting , casting and presentation is great , as soon as you open the box you want to paint this little fellow ...and not stop ...its a great subject to put your brushes to and let your imagination run wild .

This is I hope the start of a range from War Griffon as I will definately be getting one ...and reviewing it for sure .

WELL DONE to Martyn ...bring on the next one .

You can order direct from MDP via the website at a reasonable £25 plus shipping

For more details of this and other products that MDP carry please go to his website :

www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk

Finally for your delight some more box art pictures done by Adrain Hopwood(y)

Nap :)

Attached Files:

7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great review on what is a cracking little bust.
    Be warned, once you start painting it is difficult to stop.:confused:
    Carl.
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    This is one superb little bust and full marks to Martyn for sculpting this. It is definately on my "got to get" list. I just have a few more busts to paint first. Thanks Kev. :lol:
  9. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great review Kevin on this cracking bust, this is definately one for the future.

Cheers David
  10. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Thank you Kevin for the great review .
    I have one of this busts and i`m happy .
    Great job from Martyn .

Hendryk
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Like this fantasy bust from the first moment i saw it.
    Thanks for the revieuw Kevin....this is high on the list.

marc