1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Northern Raider

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Fernando Ruiz, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi!
    Here are some pics of one of my most recent works, a fantastic bust for Nocturna:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Regards
    FeR

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I saw this on the new releases thread, lovely work.
    Carl.
  3. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Buenissimo Fernando, fantastic bust and fantastic painting job.

Saludos
  4. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks, guys!
    FeR
  5. mao A Fixture

Italy
    Great job!
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Agreed! (y)
  7. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks guys, it was very nice to paint.
    Regards
    FeR
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    The Great bust!
    Indeed it's wonderful.
    The photography is also cool.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  9. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Truly brilliant subdued tones in the plaid....just so well done. Is that an oxymoron? Maybe brilliantly rendered subdued....is better.
    A+ for painting and A+ on the sculpt. Doesn't get better than this.
    Fernando Ruiz and gordy like this.
  10. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    Fantastic!

do you remember about this pics of your photo station?

regards
  11. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Sorry, man!
    I completely forgot. I promise to send you something very soon. ;)
    Regards
    FeR
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Fernando,
    Just excellent tones and great metals and face.
    Cheers
    John
  13. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    The subdued, smooth highlight and shading tells the story of the extraordinarily subtle touches of the sculpture in fabric areas. This is a rare example where the strength of the painter complements that of the sculptor, amplifying the appeal.

A quiet yet powerful portrait.
  14. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks for the coments, guys!
    I really appreciate that you like it. Working on it was a true pleasure.
    Regards
    FeR
  15. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello surely excellent painting.i think i would change as first the cheekguards which look odd and incorrect.next the hairstrands hang down like spaghettis.while some are hanging over the cheekguards as well.this one can only achieved when one fiddles the hair over the cheekguards after the helmet is already placed on the head.which no one would do.no one comes to the idea to fiddle long hair stands through the visor of his motorcyle helmet when he has already placed it on head.
    the braided plaids are not my thing too.i think without this cheekguards or with correct ones-see Coppergate helmet as example- and the hair falling in an more fluid motion and without the plaids which look like sausauges for my taste it could be nice.would i buy it i would try to change those features
    it can be changed with some putty to an much more pleasing look.
    do not kill me.i freely admitt that this painting is light years above my own clumsy brushwork.
    its only that it looks odd in my eye.and taste is an thing which is always an point of view.i think the painter can life with my oppinion.
    i did not comment it on the cathegorie new figures but here its in the painters department.and plaid and metals are impressive.its only that i for my taste are not fond on some aspects of the sculpting.neverless it has great potentials.
    no pun intended and no offense.
  16. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    It's OK, everyone is entitled to have an opinion. When I post a work here or in any other place, I like a sincere opinion about the work.
    No problem at all with that :) If comes a day when one comes with a miniature that all of us find amazing, it will be a true miracle :p

In my case, I find the cheekguards interesting enough from an aesthetic point of view. Anyway, my version was done to serve as one of the boxarts and any modifications were out of he question, so is not good as example what possible conversions could have been done.

I think that the helmet stands out well enough so anyone who wants to change it or make any modification would not find it too much difficult. It would be interesting to see it done, because I like this piece a lot and think that everything isn't told about it yet. The possibilities it offers go beyond a good paintjob.

Thanks for your comments.
    Regards
    FeR
  17. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    well i would say its surely impossible to do an wooven plaid more pleasing that you did here.the surface looks not like the stripes are painted on.looks homogen and shading as highlights are of highest standarts.
    i think it would be not to difficult to alter it.such segmented helmets where worn without cheekguards as well.so one would have enough room to create an billowing tuft of hair which would enhance the grace.
    because its very narrow in shoulder and looks straight ahead it looks static.the hair could so give it more motion and drama.
    but only an oppinion.of course you did as boxart the best job.
    because of the quality of the finished painting it took me some days before i dared to write down my oppinion about the sculpt.
    best regards
  18. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Don't worry, all opinion is welcome :)
    Glad you like the paintjob. I'll talk about your comments to the Nocturna guys. I know them well and I can tell you that all customer feedback is well received and noted ;)
    Regards
    FeR
  19. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Flawless painting Fernando.

Cheers David
  20. custer760 Well-Known Member

This is paintwork...And art at its best !!! I will buy this peice absolutely !! You have done this bust the utmost justice and because of that it is bound to be very popular !!! Bravo Fernando, you are indeed a master.
    Regards
    Pete