1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique The Morrigan, 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tony Dawe, Nov 8, 2021.

1. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Congratulations on your wins (I assume that you didn't take up the offer to judge?).

The Morrigan fig is clearly fantasy but the Vendel/Anglo-Saxon Sutton Hoo helmet jars (by about 500-700 years) as do the ewer and bowl (could be Roman but a bas relief cauldron would be more authentic and interesting) and the idea of a stained glass window. A pity as the sword and shield are about right.

But... as fantasy I suppose anything goes ;)
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  2. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Neil

Yeah it’s a fantasy piece based on ancient Celtic mythology, so it’s a historical/ fantasy hybrid really.
    Started doing oil washes over the skin tonight.

I begin with very dilute washes of Crimson to give an overall dark red filter and then added spots of Naples Yellow and blended them in with a wet brush dipped in artists white spirits. Upper highlights done the same way with Titanium White.

Still a long way to go.
    201FE4EE-ADDE-4450-A8DA-A373553735D3.jpeg
    Nap, MattMcK., NeilW and 5 others like this.
  3. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Tony,
    This is beautiful skin!!!!!

I want one of these figures now!
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I agree, beautiful flesh work!
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow, I've been otherwise engaged for a bit, and come back to this. Beautifull work Tony, you certainly make your version work.
    As for the combination of myth and history, that's what makes this part of the hobby such fun. I'm personally not to keen on the full "fantasy" stuff, but the myths with a sprinkling of history, or vice versa, are great.
    Looking forward to your progress.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  6. kempie Member

England
    Stunning Tony, simply stunning!!

Cheers, kempie
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  7. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments.

I’m taking my time on the skin to ensure it looks smooth and the contrasts aren’t too extreme. Painting female skin requires far more subtlety than I’m used to.

Starting to work on the interior of the box too, but only baby steps so far. FC96D875-C54A-4D62-996B-FCE32151847D.jpeg BDA01E30-B282-4F30-8EE7-D23337F57428.jpeg
    Nap, BRAN, Ferris and 4 others like this.
  8. Egg Active Member

Awesome figure.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  9. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Coming along nicely Tony.. (y)
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Great to the updates on this , flesh looking good , her clothing is full of intricate details to paint

Look forward to seeing more when you can

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Alex Skliar Member

Interesting miniature, interesting idea. It will be interesting to see the final.
    Nap likes this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    need to get out more, she looks hot lol. Congrats on the awards, well deserved, look forward to seeing more of this
  13. Stephen B Member

Morrigan, aka the Crow Goddess. Like the depiction of the Anglo-Saxon helmet, very well done.