1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Man from Ma'aleca'andra.....

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Also known as Martian Manhunter! OK, so I Wikipedia'd that title cause I don't really know that much about this comic book character, but I thought it was creative and it sounded cool. (NERD!)

This is a bust sculpted by Jim Maddox in approx. 300mm-1/5 scale or so. It is available through John Lea at United Empire Miniatures. All resin, big, heavy, 2 pieces, head and torso. I absolutely had a ball painting this one! I loved the excercise of painting the flesh tones in green, adding the painted weathered details to the red leather straps. I also really pushed the highlighting on the gold cape holder thingies (discs at the front/top of the cape). I really tried to make them have a comic book style highlight on them. I then used Future floor wax to give them an ultimate gloss coat so they not only looked like they were reflecting the light from a binary sun, but they reflect any light actually suplied. (Binary sun, what the hell is that! I'm earning my Nerd badge today!:p:D). Any way, I included a close up so you can decide for yourself. I also included a close up of the eyes. I'm proud of how they turned out. I did some research and most representations of this character show red eyes. Because these character busts are sculpted in a style after an artist named Alex Ross (KICK-ASS COMIC ARTIST!) who's illustration style is very "realistic" I wanted to capture that essense in my painted version. Ross illustrates with water colors and his characters look about as legitimate as comic book characters can look.

All painted in oils. Metalics are printers inks mixed with oils. Sorry for the vBench pile-on. I just got good pics taken and I'm excited about sharing the results. Thanks Jim!!!!!

This piece is actually part of a much larger whole. Part of the big ol' project I have mentioned I'm currently working on. More on that as this year progresses!!!!!!!Thanks for looking, any and all comments welcome! Sorry for the long diatribe!

Jay H.
    OKc

Attached Files:

• MM2.jpg
      MM2.jpg
      File size:
      109.1 KB
      Views:
    • MM1.jpg
      MM1.jpg
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
    • MM3.jpg
      MM3.jpg
      File size:
      104 KB
      Views:
    • MM4.jpg
      MM4.jpg
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
    • MM5.jpg
      MM5.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
    • MM6.jpg
      MM6.jpg
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
    • MM7.jpg
      MM7.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    • MM8.jpg
      MM8.jpg
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks great Jay,
    What is the next???

BTW: How is Rubens???

Marc
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Jay..........love the green skin with those eyes.
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Marc, he is warm and toasty! Waiting to be inspired....

Jay H.
    OKc
  5. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Great job Jay- eyes look spectacular
    Scott
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Again a great paint job and great colours.
    Cheers
    John
  7. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Martian Manhunter

Jay, Great job on the Martian Manhunter! I really like the eyes and the green turned out super. Nice touch on using Future Floor Wax on the cap. Wish someone would do the X-Men in bust form. I would love to see you paint The Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Remy Lebeau. Comic characters get my attention as well. Hope to see this one at the upcoming Atlanta Show.

All the Best, Terry Martin
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Another beauty Jay,

Binary suns???? Nerd badge with gold leaf cluster
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    I like the green skin also,Good work!!!
    christos
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Scott, John, Terry, Tony, Christos, thanks to all for the kind words! Glad you like him.

Tony, I'll expect a ceremony, with soda pop, cold pizza and guys dressed in some sortta Star Trek costumes for the gold leaffing ceremony! Can you arrange that?

Jay H.
    OKc
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Jay, If I ever get a chance to meet you in person, I'll personally present you with you a plastic pocket protector (so your pen doesn't leak ink on your shirt), a little hat with a propellor on top (because it helps cool down that feverish brain of yours) and pair of latex Spock ears that will allow you to "live long and prosper" (Must not be worn while using your Optivisor). Long live Nerds.
  12. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Jay,
    Another excellent piece of work!
    You have been very busy. Looking forward to your next.

Marcel.
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, looking foward to it. Marcel, many thanks!

Jay H.
    OKc
  14. dinovision79 Active Member

Jay,

very original bust! The two metal discs and the eyes look very good on the otherwise simple paintwork. Great colours and neat painting!

Thanks for the pics
    Denes
  15. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Nice one, Jay! This is a pretty cool looking character, never heard of him before. Your green flesh tones turned out great.

Jason
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Denes, many thanks gents!

Jay H.
    OKc
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello

The eyes are absoluting fantastic!:eek:

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro