1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Magician

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DrLutz, Jul 26, 2007.

1. DrLutz Member

Israel
    Hi Planeters!
    This time I want to show a genre scene of stoling a purse from an old man.
    Some explanations here should be given.
    These two figures - is a part of bigger composition I'm working now. The general idea is to make a scene we see in Jeronimus Bosch's picture "The Magician". An old man pay his attention to real magician showing tricks while a young man behind him stoling his purse. There is much extra figures there in the paintind and I'm planning to make them all. Not to make a 3D copy of Bosch but to arrange them different as I see. The trick the magician is demonstrating will be very well known nowadays as a game with three thimbles and a ball (how do you call this game in your countries?).
    I decided to make a figures dressed in costumes of the end of 15 century - when Bosch painted his Magician. So an old man is dressed as a stranger from Italy in a bit older-fascioned gown and expencive chaperon cap. Maybe he is money changer or merchant. The thieve looks like a student, I think. Not as a beggar of course. It's Ok - students of all the times suffered of lack of money - so why not to try to stole something of the rich man?

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    • 46.jpg
      46.jpg
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
    • 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      22.4 KB
      Views:
    • 48.jpg
      48.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
    • 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
    • 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      11.4 KB
      Views:
    • 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
    • 53.jpg
      53.jpg
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work Vlad. I look forward to seeing your next addition to the scene.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Vlad,
    The game is called the "Three shell game". With larger cups it is called the "Cups and Balls" Great sculpt and a great idea.
    Cheers
    John
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Vlad, Just awesome! The drapery very well done. Your faces are also full of character. These will paint up nicely.~Gary
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Vlad,
    this is some interpretation of Jeroen Bos paintings. We call the game "balletje-balletje".
    I'm looking forward to your vignette, because as a Dutchman i'm a great addict of the Jeroen Bos paintings.
    Looks great to a 3D rendition of it.

Marc
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Well done, Vlad! Superb rendition of an original idea. What scale is it?

Some may find the heads a little too big for the 'modern' standard but I think it adds to the character and the period look.

Looking forward to the next step.

Quang
  7. DrLutz Member

Israel
    Guy, John, Garry - "to be continued" as they say...
    Here's one more picture of my try to arrange this mega-mass composition. Btw there are only main actors. A child and the dog are missing as well as two more figures in the mob.
    But first of all I have to give appropriate finish to the portraits of figurines I've done. When I see their faces on photos i guess need to work harder on them.
    To that's the name of the game! 'Cups and Ball' - so simply! Interesting that in russian we call it 'thimbles' even if a thimble will be as big as bucket.

Attached Files:

8. DrLutz Member

Israel
    Marc, I'm glad to knew you are fond of Dutch school of painting. As to me I love it too. Landscapes of Ruisdales (both of them - Jacob and Solomon), portraits of Frans Hals, as well as all Bruegel with his country fests.

Quang, you are completely right - I make here 'big heads' - bigger then usual 'seven and a half' or even 'eight heads' rules as I use for military figurunes. It's between 7 to 7.5 heads especially to show proportions of a simply men, nor heroes or warriors. I hope it will add a funny look or will help to underline charactrers. Yes, I want to bring a little fun in all this composition and I hope you'll enjoy it.
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can't wait to see this one finished. I wish that I could sculpt as there are many great paintings out there that I would love to copy.
  10. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    Great Idea! I like it a lot! It's something different the single scale figures!

Lennart
  11. eissteban Active Member

France
    excellent and very singularbravo
  12. jaime Member

Spain
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Vlad extremely well done, my compliments.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing more.
    Roc
  14. DrLutz Member

Israel
    Matthew, Liennart, Sebastien, Jaime, Roc
    I'm glad you like it. I'll definitely go on forward and you are welcome to see more.
    DrLutz
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is the painting for those who are interest.

[IMG]

Marc
  16. eissteban Active Member

France
    thanks Marc ;)
    very original
  17. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I lover such scenes very well.
  18. DrLutz Member

Israel
    Here's some new additions - the Magician itself and a nun. Nun is'nt finished yet that's why I hadn't filmed her.

Attached Files:

• 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 56.jpg
      56.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    • 57.jpg
      57.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 58.jpg
      58.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
  19. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    beautiful work.
    Hope to see it one day
  20. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    yes indeed beautifull, hope like vergilius.