1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Magic Circle

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by MattMcK., Apr 30, 2023.

1. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Based on the painting by J. W. Waterhouse, here's my recreation in box diorama format. It's very hard to get pics behind glass when the box is closed, but the lighting isn't the same for pics with the box open, so there are a few both ways. If you see an odd shape floating, it's a reflection in the glass. Original figure sculpted over a Preiser Eve body; crows were 3D printed for me. Tiny cave dwellers are re-sculpted HO train figures, one with a tiny pico size LED for a lantern. The 'circle' is a strip of side-glow fiber optic. The fire flickers, and there is a lightning flash effect in the top of the smoke column. Thanks to all for encouragement during the build.
    IMG_3223.JPG IMG_4215.jpg IMG_4210.jpg IMG_4214.jpg IMG_4208.jpg IMG_3464.jpeg IMG_4194.jpg
    Blind Pew, Dr Bison, Edorta and 4 others like this.
  2. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Very nice work indood indeed. May have a go at something similar, IF I can find a topic that inspires me for this type of work...
    MattMcK. likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

It turned out great! Congrats on finishing it.

Adrian
    MattMcK. likes this.
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wonderful work again

Mobo
    MattMcK. likes this.
  5. NigelR A Fixture

Superb, just superb. I'd love to know more about your use of LEDs - it looks like you have them set up like spotlights in the photo of the box itself. I would love to try a box dio at some point but it requires a lot of skills I don't possess, but you clearly do!! A real joy to see this one develop.
    MattMcK. likes this.
  6. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Nigel!

You absolutely possess the skills! Even if you don't have woodworking tools, any number of boxes and frames are available in craft stores and frame shops, which often also have precut mats you can use to frame the viewing window. Wiring and lights are simple and fairly cheap these days, I use Evans designs, who have a ton of great tutorials at https://evandesigns.com/pages/resources.

Buy a few leds and a power lead of your choice and play around a bit. It's fun and easy!
    NigelR likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Matt

Great to see you completing this project , it was interesting watching the SBS https://www.planetfigure.com/posts/1308353/

....and the end result looks really impressive

Liking the painting of the main figure and the thought behind the presentation particularly the lighting effects

*****PLEASE also SUPPORT the COMPETITIONS of your choice by going to the relevant thread on this link and enjoy ENTERING and VOTING ***

https://www.planetfigure.com/forums/bi-monthly-vignettes-dioramas-competition.196/

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The box dio is the pinnacle of modelling. Well done indeed.
    NigelR likes this.