1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP The Lord of Lion bust (from NutsPlanet)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by storm_zh, Mar 19, 2014.

1. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Hi PF friends,

Here is a bit progress on the Lord of Lion bust (from NutsPlanet) I started to paint last week. At present, I call the head almost finished, though I may possibly tweak it a bit after gluing it to the body. All is painted using acrylics .
    face01.jpg face02.jpg face03.jpg face04.jpg

Below are some pictures I took during the process when I painted the face and hair that I’d like to share with you along with some brief descriptions.

1. The wet palette for face painting. You can see the base color, light, shadow and tone colors.
    SBS0-face-wp.jpg

2. Two coats of base color applied.
    SBS1-face-basecolor.jpg

3. Sketched out rough light and shadow areas using level 2 highlight and shadow colors.
    SBS2-face-sketch.jpg

4. Added more highlight and shadow colors in a controlled way. Also, started some initial blending work (the middle of the face in the picture below) and painted the beard.
    SBS3-face-blending.jpg

5. More blending work and some details added to the face.
    SBS3-face-blending2.jpg

6. At this stage, I stopped painting the face and switched to paint the hair. It is just my own preference because I wanted to get a more holistic view of the head with the hair painted before continuing to refine the face with more work on blending and adding details. 3 colors were used as the base colors of the hair and were applied using wet-on-wet taking the overall light/shadow areas into account. The hair already has kind of nice effect of blending just after the base color was applied.
    SBS7-hair-basecolor.jpg

7. By using a dark color that is diluted, I washed all the hair 1-2 times and then pin-washed only shadow areas 1-2 extra times as needed.
    SBS8-hair_wash.jpg

8. The last but very important step for hair is to use some light colors (I used light gray, offwhite and a mix of both) to highlight some hairlines one by one. I did not use dry-bushing here as it is sort of hard to control for hairline details. The final results of the hair with highlights added can be found in one of the finished pictures at the beginning of this post.

I am currently working on various armor and leather parts on the body and will continue to update this WIP after I make some further progress. Actually this is my first WIP post as I am relatively new to the PF site :)

Any feedbacks and comments are welcome.

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    great stuff !
    storm_zh likes this.
  3. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Like the face a lot!
    storm_zh likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Excellent work and a cracking SBS for painting a face
    Steve
    storm_zh likes this.
  5. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    i likes it a lot, looking forward to seeing more of this, it seems like a really nice sculp
    storm_zh likes this.
  6. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Ok. Can we make a little exchange? I will get your painted head and you get from me a new unpainted one:whistle:
    storm_zh, housecarl and Helm like this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Brilliant Jason,
    That flesh is awesome.
    Thanks for the SBS.
    Keith
    storm_zh likes this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic Jason (y)

Thanks for sharing the SBS.

Cheers,
    Billy
    storm_zh likes this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely bit of painting.(y)
    storm_zh likes this.
  10. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic face and thanks for the SBS, great job

John
    storm_zh likes this.
  11. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jason
    Awesome painting , the step by step is a real help have been sat looking at the face step by step and putting together method s of approach in how I can incorporate your style and technique into my present project, and future projects .
    Thank you for sharing your skills
    Cheers Chris
    storm_zh likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfect painted face.

marc
    storm_zh likes this.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Top work a usual.
    Great sbs.Thank you!

Pedro.
    storm_zh likes this.
  14. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Awesome stuff and thanks for the SBS
    Ben
    storm_zh likes this.
  15. swralph A Fixture

Nicely painted face(y)
    storm_zh likes this.
  16. offo A Fixture

nice work(y)
    storm_zh likes this.
  17. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That really is quite stunning.
    Lovely eyes.

Gells
    storm_zh likes this.
  18. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Hi Rompy, Piotrec, Steve, Zane666, Ulrich, Keith, Billy, Housecarl, John, Chris, Marc, Pedro, Ben, Swralph, Offo and Gells, many thanks to all for you for your kind words and encouragement. I am glad that you like the progress of this bust so far. I will certainly post more updates when I have them.
  19. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Here is a bit progress on the armor parts and this SBS continues :)

1. Base coat for armors. This bust has 3 different kinds of armor - black, gold and red. For the black armor, I used GW leadbelcher mixed with Vallejo glossy black as its base coat. For the gold armor, I used Vallejo Model Air gold with a little bit of Model Air steel as its base coat. And for the red part, I used a mix of the black armor basecoat mentioned above and a lot of Vallejo carmine red. The picture below shows what the armor parts look like just after their base coats were applied. Please note that the neck proctor and the pad underneath the gold chest armor are made of black leather instead of metal in my opinion.
    Armor01.jpg

2. After that, I used various acrylics to wash the armors to bring out details and depth. Additionally, some tone colors like violet red, purple, gray green and etc., which are highly diluted, were used to add more subtle effects to the armors as well. For the red armor, several coats of diluted Tamiya transparent red were applied to it to give it more richness in red tone and a glossy effect. The two pictures below show the progress up to this step where only acrylic colors were used.
    Armor02.jpg Armor03.jpg

3. Next, I moved on to use oil paint and printers' inks to further refine the transition on armors, add some stain and scratches, and also bring out highlights (especially on edges) and also give the armor a more worn effect. The picture below shows that the progress on armors after this step was completed (the red cloak in this picture was just base-coated and I will work on it later).
    Cloak_02.jpg

I will update this post when having more progress on this bust. Thanks for watching.
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice I like the way you've tied it all in so well, I'd agree with you re the leather parts as well (y) Wonderful finish
    Steve
    storm_zh likes this.