1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP The Looter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariner, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Still lots to do on this one, but here's how he's coming along...haven't decided on the jerkin color yet. Comments/tips welcome as always. Working in acrylics.
    Mary

Attached Files:

Guy and gordy like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I think you're missing mid tones in the face Mary. The transitions from light to dark appear too sudden.
    Hope that makes sense,
    Carl.(y)
  3. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith Richards!:)
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    The face transitions is where I'm having trouble on this one. I had a look at others' work on this figure and am still trying to get it right. Keith Richards would be proud:D
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    What colour are you starting with Mary?
    Carl.o_O
  7. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Mary, I started this guy yesterday. It is a tricky one as the face is very angular. I'll take a few photos of mine and the flesh mixes that go with it, it might help with your midtones.

Andrew.
  8. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    I have a bottle of Vallejo basic flesh, and the ivory and mixed from there, Carl. I managed to correct it a bit...he was looking too orange so I 'pinked' him a bit. I used a pale raw umber mix for shadows because he's so grungy looking.
    Thank you, Andrew. I've already stripped him once before, so if I need to do so again, I will:notworthy:
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mary,
    Although I dont use acrylics for flesh I think the trick for you would be to have a round palette. Have the base coat in one bit then add you highlights one way and the shadows another so you have all the tones. This way, you can "overlap" the tones to blend them. Just the same as the clothing.

Also it looks like your using true black for the cloth. Add a wee bit purple, blue or flesh colour to the black so you can use true black for the deepest shadows. This gives the figure a bit more depth.

The eyes look maybe a wee bit too big. Have you looked at Mark Bennetes' excellent tutorial in the articles sections on how to paint eyes?

Keep going, your work rate is admirable.
    Gells.