1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The King in Yellow by MDC

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by polyphemus, Jan 10, 2011.

1. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Photo below is of an interpretation, produced by MDC, of The King in Yellow from the short story cycle by Robert W Chambers, written in the 1890's.

I recently completed this resin bust, painted in oils over a Humbrol enamel undercoat.

06012011kiy 001.jpg 06012011kiy 004.jpg

This was way outside my usual comfort zone!

Geoff
  2. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I like it, it's different...great shading work
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cool, I know nothing of the story but like what you have done with this bust. Have to agree with Makr as to the shading on the yellow, very nice.
    Ben
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Interesting piece, and great work on the yellows!

Jay H.
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Look great Geoff! I think the bone is done particularly well. I wouldn't have gone quite so dark, or so brown, on the shadows on the yellow but it's nicely shaded.

Maybe do the teeth a little whiter? Good reference on how much lighter the enamel tends to stay here.

Einion
  6. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Geoff:

Great stuff. Always enjoy seeing something out of the norm and out of someone's comfort zone. Well done. Any chance on giving your mixes for the yellow and skull bone?

Cheers
    Paul
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work Geoff - shading yellows is no easy feat! (y)
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I like that.
    Thanks for showing
    FB_Addon_TelNo{ height:15px !important; white-space: nowrap !important; background-color: #0ff0ff;}
  9. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the kind comments which are greatly appreciated.

Paul, the yellow was undercoated with around 6 coats of Humbrol Matt Yellow 24.

The yellow topcoat is a mix of cad yellow, chrome yellow and cad lemon, just playing around until it looked about right. Then I added a small amount of violet to take the edge off the intensity of the yellow.
    Shading is Caput Mortuum Violet (Rembrandt) with magenta worked in for deeper shades and highlighting is Naples yellow Light. All paints are W&N oils except where indicated.

The bone areas were undercoated with Humbrol Matt Cream 121, given a wash of Sepia & then a Titanium white/raw umber/gold Ochre mix worked in wet on wet. Finally pin washes of sepia &/or Burnt Umber used to emphasise certain areas once the base coat was dry. Also highlights of Titanium white/raw Umber worked in wet on dry.

Geoff
  10. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Geoff:

Brilliant. Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to give it a try sometime soon. Great work and an oil painter too. There is a God:)

I know yellow is aways a prob. I've had some pretty goods result with undercoats using the Citadel Foundation paints, in particular yellow and white. Can't remember the names right now but you know they have some bizarre Warhammer handle;)

Cheers
    Paul
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great info Geoff! (y)