1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Kid Can't Help It

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by pylgrym, Jun 25, 2005.

1. pylgrym New Member

United-States
    For anyone who hasn't been paying real close attention to the world of toy soldiers and, more particularly, plastic figures; we are in a new golden age. The injection-molded, soft plastic guys we (sometimes literally!) cut our teeth on have found new designers and manufacturers as the venues have expanded for their display and sales. Just a quick Google of names like Gun-Ho, Replicants, AIP (Armies in Plastic), Conte`, TSSD (Toy Soldiers of San Diego), CTS (Classic Toy Soldiers), HAT, BUM, Dragon, Forces of Valor, 21st Century, Revell, Accurate, A Call to Arms, IMEX, Zvezda - OR a trip to one of the Michigan Toy Soldiers big toy soldier websites might be a real eye opener. From the TSSD site I tried in vain to attach a shot of their nice painted plastic Confederates. I am a collector of plastic figures who's just starting out in model figure painting. I find some of the new unbreakable stuff to be quite detailed!
    '
    Paul
  2. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Hi Paul,
    Guess there aren't too many toy soldier collectors here :)
    I agree with you that there's a lot of nice painted ones lately (plastic and metal too). They are going through a big change, or should I call it "evolution". As a producer of 1/32 painted metal soldiers myself, I can tell you that collectors will have better and better quality with maximum details which is totally different from the past from various manufacturers (plastic and metal).
    I started out as a modeller but now making painted soldiers for collectors, hope it doesn't upset the painters here. In fact, I still paint the grey soldiers from these wonderful manufacturer.
    Here's a sample of a future toy soldier.
    [IMG]
    Welcome all comments.
    Robert
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Robert, I agree that toys soldiers have come a long way. As for upsetting folks here, don't worry about it, we all share basically the same interest and you're welcome here just the same.~Gary
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Robert, I echo what Gary said. you are very welcome in the Planet, ;)
    I'm sure there are other members who may be interested in toy soldiers.
    Keep on posting.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  5. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Thanks Gary and ROC. I've always thought that this is not a place for finished toy, and I am wrong.
    It's amazing how this modelling hobby and its forums had offered to different individuals.
    IMHO, it's like a school. We have newbies all the time, as I was once, asking what brand, scale and medium should one starts with... how to do this... how to paint that. And after a few years, they start to take different path and working toward their goals nurtured from the hobby. Some drop out, some receive all kinds of awards from competition and shows, some do commission works for manufacturers or others, or team up to create their own kits, and of course, some turn the grey metal into a piece of art as a hobby.

As Paul has started in this thread, a lot of painted soldiers have taken a completely new look. At least, the face looks like a face, and their poses are more natural. In the metal products, the major change is the finishing. Instead of the traditional glossy look, they are or will be mostly in matt finish which I think it's more realistic.

Have fun, painted or not,(y)
    Robert
  6. Ong Active Member

I've been to Michigan Toy Soldier in person. Wow...talk about a hobby shop devoted to TOY soldiers! MTS is "out of my league," not having many modern or 1/35 figures, but if one is looking for Napoleanic, resin trees, rocks, etc., Michael Roberts figures, and odds and ends, and especially toy, diecast, or vinyl soldiers, it's the place to go.
  7. pylgrym New Member

United-States
    :eek: The Michigan Toy Soldier crew shows up in Chicago every year at the OTSN or
    "Old Toy Soldier Newsletter" show the last weekend of September. There is a whale of a lot of room trading at the Hyatt Regency Woodfield over the four days prior to the show, where you can get to know the manufacturers, painters, sculptors, dealers, etc. on a more social level. I have been going for almost 20 years now. One manufacturer named Ron Barszo has parlayed a hobby into a nice little business..... Ron is a big fan of the 'playsets' many of us had as kids: Fort Apache, Battleground, Knights' Castle, etc. etc. and it shows in his own output, reflecting his love of American History.
    '
    pEEgEE