1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed The Juggernaut Cyborg - Black Sun Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by CondeJulian, Jul 10, 2020.

1. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    98% Done. 4 Days painting wires alone ! The crotch area is a little fussy sculpt wise, and most paintings of this figure shows that area in the same color as the pants (jeans in my case) and that did not look good. It lacked depth, even with all the wiring, so I decided to go back and paint a "inside out" color as leather, like it was popping out of the body thru the open jeans all the way to the big leather buckle. Looks better in my view. Now I will get to the last step before final assembly, the boots !

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Nap and grasshopper like this.
  2. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Figure is finished ! Almost 2 months painting (on my own time)...now the base for wrap up and take pro photos...

let me know your thoughts...

[IMG]
    Nap and grasshopper like this.
  3. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Coming together very well...
    CondeJulian likes this.
  4. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Little Treats for the Cyborg's base...

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Nap likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
  6. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Julian favours a low contrast style, so I’d say within that his flesh works fine..
    CondeJulian likes this.
  7. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thanks Nap !

About the skin, there are 2 points I would like to mention, first is that Grasshopper is correct about my low contrast approach, I like my models and painting to be on the realistic level as similar to real life and not "cartoonish" like some high contrast figures, specially with special lighting effects such as strong zenithal light, or areas of higher light source, and also, I don't like the fantasy approach of non-metallic metals and so on. This is my method because some 15 years ago when I started making figures I was placing 1/35th scale figures alongside my AFV's, and that is also a very down to earth finish in realism, not much constrast, not use of old "wash & dry" technique, so for the figure to blend in with the model it had to be toned down (contrast wise) and that was my school.

Which brings me to the second point, that my technique of oils over acrylics, brings a very unique oil sheen to the skin tone, which I find the best for scale purposes. I really don't like figures finished in all matt varnish, or made with a super matt paint like Andrea, AK Figure Series and so many others that brings an almost velvet like finish. I love those paints, But that matt finish is not welcome for me. I like to make all materials in a figure or model have their own sheen, just like real life. Leather has a different sheen from skin, from wood, that has another for fabrics, for metals, and so on.
    Sometimes I see figures that even the eyes and lips are the same dead matt finish. Not a single difference in shine, and that approach also covers the non-metallic metal technique, it's great visually, but completely unrealistic.
    Said all that, since my photos are taken (so far) withy iPhone under my bench or my window with are not correct light sources for color rendering and shadows, the skin tones which has a unique sheen reflects that light and saturates it. I bring the exposure down, but even so it saturates and that makes it look like it's lacking contrast. You can see my skin tones "glow" a little more that the rest of the figure. So this weekend I am hoping to wrap my build with pro taken photos which I do with natural light and with a good camera. I will post photos then, and skin tones should look a lot more natural, and with a more convincing contrast, which I tend to rely on the sculpture's own curves to provide, under the correct light.

Shooting yellow, white and orange under a bench light with extreme power like mine makes most phone cameras run for their money when It comes to taking photos.

Thanks for the input, hoping to place this baby on the FOTM soon !

Julian
    Nap, kagemusha and grasshopper like this.
  8. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Not to divert the thread, but there is a “flavour of the month” to what is considered as weathering, contrast, other style points..it applies to say model aircraft and AFV where now weathering is taken to extreme..or in miniatures where contrasts are pumped. Some of it may be the demands of shows, online photos where subjects need pop or get lost on the competition table, some just the evolution of accepted style and preferences..most certainly applies to 1/1 art. I am glad to see Julian, Dmitry..Kagamusha..guys with signature styles..each skilled at his craft, yet different..
    Nap, kagemusha and CondeJulian like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Julian

Thanks for the reply very well explained , it's a good finish on this fellow and good to see something different ...and he's better looking than me ...lol

Grasshopper says it all in his last sentence " each skilled at his craft, yet different"

Look forward to the completed pics

Happy benchtime

Nap
    CondeJulian likes this.
  10. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hey Guys, finally finished, with all the bells and whistles.

See here pro photos under indirect sunlight, how the flesh tones looks very natural, without the regular fantasy higher contrast. Hope you like the results, and please, let me know your thoughts. I will post on the forum for finished works too...

See Ya soon !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg