1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The janissary

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roc, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Johan, thanks for the encouragement, it helps be to go on. ;)
    I've been trying to give the Janissary a lot of color, according to my research they
    Were an elite unit, therefore they were very colorful, I hope I haven’t overdone it.

As far as the groundwork, I like your idea about the stairs, I will take that into consideration, but I'm still undecided

Cheers

Roc :)
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Marc, I know what you mean about buying a new car , it has emptied both pockets, and I won't be buying many new figures for a while, but that is good, it will give me a chance to paint the figures that I already have.
    The reason why I did not buy a used car is because my last used car was a real lemon. :(

Cheers

Roc. :lol:
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I remember the first new car I bought.....whew....have the prices gone up. I let the wife drive the newer car and I keep the old clunker at home for my occasional use.

Roc, I am contemplating mounting my Janissary within some fallen pillars as he is working his way down a slight slope. But I am still a long way from the mounting to the base stage yet.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, that is a great idea,I know it will work.
    How large will the base be?

Keep up the good work.

Roc. :)
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys, just finished painting the face, I should have some pictures by posted by tomorrow.

Cheers

6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I finally got around to painting the face and the hat, sorry for the delay and thanks for being patient.
    It still needs extreme highlights and shadows, waiting for the figure to completely dry.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Flesh formula for the face

Base = Mussini base flesh + Raw sienna , white , a little burnt sienna and a touch of Windser blue to cool down the mix.

Medium shadows = base + allizzarin brown madder.

medium shadows = Allizzarin brown madder + Burnt Umber.

Deep shadows = Sepia.

Medium highlights = Base + Naples yellow + white

high highlights = Naples yellow + white

Extreme highlights = high highlights + more white.

Formula for the white hat.

Base = Titanium white + Liquitex parchment

medium shadow = base + a little bit of lamp black.

deep shadows = medium shadow + more lamp black.

Medium highlights = base + motre white.

high highlights = Pure Titanium white, only on the uppermost extremities.

I don't think the pictures turned out too well, as soon as I get a chance I'll try to take a few more. :(

Cheers

7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I will paint the hands and the shoes next.

8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Rocco,

At last, my waiting time dryed out :) . But that is a beuatiful peace of artwork you are making.
    I like it all. One question, how you did the bronce metal on the crown.

Marc.
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Roc-

Hat and face both look super. Expecially the subtle shading on the whites. I have tried using the lamp black on whites with less success. Great work!

Ketih
  10. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Roc -

Beautiful job !!
    The whites are fantastic...i like the mix of both the black and the brownish-yellow shadows...

i'm sure it's been asked, but what's the groundwork gonna be ?

-Alex
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Mark, thanks for the kind words.

I used testors gold + burnt umber for the base, burnt umber for medium shadows,
    Sepia for dark shadows, pure gold for highlights and silver for the catch light .

Cheers

12. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Keith.thanks, I'm glad you like it.
    Whites are not very difficult, the trick is not to over shadow.

Cheers

Roc.
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    hello Alex, thank you very much,I apreciate the kind words.

As far as the ground work goes, I'm still undecided.

Cheers

Guy. :)
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey,Roc,my friend,that is one AWESOME piece of painting there (y) (y) !! WELL DONE ! I'm still working on my Bosnian figure; will post some in-progress shots either tonight or tomorrow in my vBench. Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth, my friend , thanks a bunch and I'm looking forward to seeing your in progress pictures of your Bosnian figure.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

16. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Awesome looking piece, Rocco, I'm a fan, seriously. I like these bright colours. However, I wonder, did janissaries truly wear sure bright colours as warriors? No critisism intended, just wondering.

I always thought that to get such colours, you needed a pure white linen as a base. So I'm wondering, were the ancients capable of whitening a cloth to the extent where they could dye it with such bright results?

Cheers,
    Francis
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Bon jour Francis, thanks for the kind words and your encouragement.

According to my research the Janissary was an elite soldier in the Ottoman empire
    and they did wear colorful uniforms.
    The Ottomans were very advanced in the art of textiles and they really werent't considered ancients, this Janissary probably lived in 1600 AD or maybe a bit later.

Keep up the good work and thanks for following my step by step. ;)

Aurevoir

18. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guys, Just finisheed painting the hands and the shoes and are happily drying in the oven.
    I will take some pictures tomorrow and time permitting I will post them by mid week.

Cheers

19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys, I just Finished the hands ,feather ,shoes and I undercoated the bow and the quiver .
    When completely dry glazes of highlights and more shadows will be applied.

You advice and critique is welcome.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers

20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks absolutely Fabulous Roc.......I love the flesh tones you have done and the shading is up to your usual high standards of excellence.......Have you figured out your base and groundwork as yet?