1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"The Great Escape" finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, May 29, 2006.

1. tete2noeud New Member

This is an excellent news.

I liked already your ballon scene, the bicycle and the 2 belgian watchers( in a very funny situation).

But now, we have to wait for hundreds others miniatures as awesome as this one.
    ;) ;)
  2. Yarok New Member

Goeiendag Marijn,

You did it again... How does it feel to be ten years further than everyone else :)?
    I saw the early WIP of the Great Escape at Ransart, but the finished figure is really stunning!

Like Marc, I think the left hand should have been more in contact with the plinth.
    Personnally, I'd have the nameplate reversed (or the whole plinth) to enhance the "I pick my plinth up and leave!" idea.
    Finally, The sawn end of the paintbrush deserves a cleaner cut: at that angle, it's "just a cut paintbrush", and the negative space effect doesn't quite work imho.

Otherwise, the paintjob is immaculate, as always, and the idea of making footprints in yellow paint is excellent!

(om een gezicht op een nickname te zetten: we hebben een beetje gepraat in Parijs, tijdens P. Gengembre schilder demo...)

Cheers!

Patrick
  3. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks tete2noeud and Patrick!

Well, I don't know about those hundreds of others... I was more hoping for hundreds of other people, each makig hundreds of excellent pieces!
    Hey wait, this is already happening for many years... :lol:

Thanks for the comments Patrick!
    The nameplate is just a decision I made on a piece that is in itself absurd, so I like the readability this orientation offers. The other way would indeed make more sence, but maybe I'm not very sensible... :lol:
    I agree on the hand and the paintbrush though. The hand was the best I could get with this akward pose but I'm aso not perfectly happy with it (next time better I hope...), and the paintbrush could have been finished with more care indeed, or maybe placed to enter the scene from the rear.
    Konrad Schulte came up with the idea of the footprints when we were talking at the AMSS show in Antwerp, so I have to thank him for it. It's great to have some backup idea-suppliers around! :lol:

Thanks again!

Marijn
  4. Yarok New Member

Hey, got another question: is the plinth real wood or has it been hollowed? I mean, there's got to be some solid pinning to hold it in place (but then, the balloon assembly of yours seems pretty fiddly :lol:)...

Cheers,

Patrick
  5. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Lovely! :eek: Amazing work, Marijn.

best regards
    Artur
  6. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks Arthur!

Patrick, the wood of the base is not very heavy (one of the reasons for me to select this one!), so I didn't hollow it out. A 1mm brass pin between his shoulders and a 0,5mm pin on his bum keeps it solidly in place. Strong enough to hold him safely by the wooden plinth and even transport it upside down! A magic-sculp figure is quite strong on its own, and I used 1mm brass wire for the arms and spine.
    The "worktable" base has a piece of 1mm brass sheet incorporated. Holes for the pins coming from the figures feet were drilled trough it, the pins inserted and bent back at the bottom, and then soldered solidly in place.
    Thinking about how to solve these technical problems was certainly also fun to do!

Best wishes,

Marijn
  7. Yarok New Member

Thanks for this extensive answer! I like to have my figures strongly pinned too, so I was beginning to think over your model to find out how you did this ^^ Surely a MS figure is tough, but one is never safe from a cracked ankle :)
    Nice trick to use a brass plate and have the bent pin soldered to it! I'll keep this one up the sleeve if I ever had to pin a figure and the surface isn't thick enough for drilling.

cheers,

Patrick
  8. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Marijn and I apologize again for upsetting the piece of paintbrush when handling this AWESOME PIECE OF ART while judging it..........Infact I have two apologies to make.........the second one is all about not looking into this thread before (I was caught up in rushing my figs for Euro :( ) because if I had looked I would have known FROM WHERE TO PICK IT UP.......just like I saw Connie Schulte do and I whinced :eek: ).........

You're certainly a very humble artist who inspires us all!!

Take Care,

Ray ;)