1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Gentleman`s fortune, 17th century

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by HIMINI, Sep 18, 2019.

1. HIMINI Active Member

Dear colleagues, dear friends!
    After a long break caused by a number of objective reasons, we begin to replenish our assortment. Meet our new kit!
    "The Gentleman`s fortune, 17th century"
    Scale, as usual - 75mm.
    Sculptor: Igor Gulyaev
    We decided to add some pleasant little things to achieve maximum authenticity. You will find inside the kit:
    • Two versions of the bottle, in gray and green translucent resin
    • Set of jewelry-grade crystals, in four different colors
    Traditionally, we offer some assembly variety, this time in the form of two types of hats:
    • Classic cocked hat decorated with a feather plume
    • A hat with a bent brim decorated with an ostrich feather
    Item #: Hi-75-005
    Available for order. To order, write to the PM or e-mail: himini@bk.ru
    Box-art will be done by brilliant artist Margarita Mikhailova

A posse ad esse!
    _K_rME1FSlQ.jpg
    _v1tqqN9ex8.jpg 6HU9iTdX9GQ.jpg 7LVrsUtIcMU.jpg
    eyBuIn_8wzI.jpg ei9l1x4DRps.jpg GT-y2Hn3We0.jpg
    iIaSXgJZbO8.jpg OQInAKwBm2Q.jpg R_T4s9mWpd0.jpg
    Edorta, Mike S., captnenglish and 4 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Good to see Himini releasing again and a subject full of details again , like the options you've offered

Look forward to seeing the box artwork from Margarita

Look forward also to see future releases as well perhaps a bust as well ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    HIMINI likes this.
  3. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice release and looking forward to seeing the box art.
    TERRY
    HIMINI likes this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks very good for me.

marc
    HIMINI likes this.
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  6. HIMINI Active Member

Will post it here also due to "official topic" status))

Thanks Neil!

During creation of our figure, we were partly inspired by the image of Blas de Lezot, a Spanish admiral who lost his arm, leg and eye. As well as a number of famous pirates of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, for example François Leclerc and Cornelis Jol. Among the sailors of that time, such injuries were not unusual. More likely routine. Of course it is unconditional fact that most of mariners never went to sea after receiving such trauma. But our character is not a simple sailor, more like a successful and non-poor sea wolf. With expensive clothes and weapons. Therefore, he continues his career.

Concerning non-peg leg option. We`ve discussed such idea. There were one big problem: such pose differs much if it is a non-disabled person. The position of the upper part of the leg is different. And all folds and gathers will be also different. So we denied that option.
  7. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi,

I wasn't criticising so much as jokingly pointing out the typical stereotypical peg-leg pirate (arrrr, Jim Lad :) )

Interesting refs (though it seems Blas de Lezot lost the use of his left arm rather than the arm itself?).

The discussion made me look up some refs, best are:

http://thepirateempire.blogspot.com/2014/12/hook-hands-peg-legs-and-eyepatches.html

http://www.piratesurgeon.com/pages/surgeon_pages/amputation12.htm

Ref an alternative leg: yes, I see your point, though I reckon a 'trailing' left leg with the weight on the right would still work... but it's your sculpt, so your call (y) .
    HIMINI likes this.
  8. HIMINI Active Member

Of course I understand that it was not critics just a discussion))
    Besides I like to discuss such things.

Good refs, BTW. IMHO, the only thing is that isn`t correct is "...Historically, there are no really famous pirates missing either legs or hands..." - well, there were. François Leclerc and Cornelis Jol, for example. There are even several credible 16-17th images on several peg leg pirates. And some 18th century verbal discriptions on peg leg and one eyed pirates (e.g. "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most notorious Pyrates", 1724). rp-p-ob-20-923.jpg jambe-de-bois-origine.jpg
  9. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I make no apologies for the fact that most of this is from Wiki.

Thanks for the response: I too like a good discussion;)

Regarding the examples that you give:

Blas de Lezo (1689-1741) was a Spanish admiral and Cornelis Jol (1597-1641) was an admiral in the Dutch East India Company, so neither were really pirates as such. No doubt as officers they also got first class treatment and after their injuries were considered too important and useful to be just 'pensioned off' ashore (similarly Nelson).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas_de_Lezo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelis_Jol

Francois le Clerc (died 1563) was however more the real deal (although more strictly a privateer operating under a royal letter of marque). He mainly preyed on the Spanish but at various times the English and as part of the Protestant Rebellion fought against France). At one stage he lead a fleet of ten ships alongside Jaques de Sores (who had the very piratey nickname, The Exterminating Angel). That this fleet included 3 royal vessels, one captained by himself, shows the perceived legitimacy of his operations.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_le_Clerc

Now, I don't deny that there weren't 'peg leg' pirates around, but the point made in the Pirate Empire site is 'Historically, there are no really famous pirates missing either legs or hands. Pirates who lost limbs in the course of their work were paid a benefit out of the ship's operating fund so they could retire comfortably.

So, two things stand out: first 'really famous', which I take to mean of the status of Captain Kidd, Blackbeard or Calico Jack (or others included in Johnson's books); second it makes the point that they could be pensioned out. Furthermore, both this and the other site focus on the period considered 'The Golden Age of Piracy'... around 1650-1720 (thus excluding characters such as le Clerc).

Regarding the illustrations:

The first is actually a beggar, one of a series of etchings of vagrants by Jaques Callot c1622/3. Of course he may have been a pirate (or equally a soldier or just the unfortunate victim of an agricultural or industrial accident) but the context clearly places him as a landlubber.
    See here: https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb425706461
    and here (link)

The second is Giraud de Maeleon, a nobleman, soldier and Governor of Calais who lost his leg in the land battle to liberate Calais in 1558 (and got made a Chevalier d St Esprit in recognition of it: you can see the badge on his cloak) , So again, hardly a pirate.

OF COURSE NONE OF THIS DETRACTS FROM YOUR SCULPT (y)
    HIMINI likes this.
  10. HIMINI Active Member

That`s similar to my point)) that if a wounded seaman is important for the crew (ship, fleet, state etc) because he is experienced and lucky - he wiil stay on board and continue his career. Despite his official status: at active service, privateer, armator or complete outlaw.

BTW our character is more like a privateer to me. Smth similar to Cornelis Jol status.

"Really famous" = "18th century pop-culture pirate" - OK, I got it)))

I attached those pics to illustrate the general idea that there were dozens of people using peg legs that time: beggars, usual citizens, high ranked officers etc. There are few images of 17th century engravings (Dutch as far as I remember) which shows peg leged mariners. Need to return to my home PC to place them here - I`m on a trip these days.

Thank you!))
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    When it comes to pirates, they are all fantasy in my mind. So, that being said, I really like this concept which offers a bit of artistic license. It's just something I like, and from that standpoint, I think it is an excellent sculpt and a piece that I would seriously consider.

Wayne
    HIMINI likes this.
  12. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    And another great release from Himini !!!!
    HIMINI likes this.
  13. HIMINI Active Member

Thank you Hans!
    Want one?)
  14. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As said, a good sculpt and plenty of painting opportunities

The rest is academic
  15. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Xmas-gift :whistle: ?