1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Fusilier 1:32 scale WWI German Aviator Figure 1917 – 1918

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Martin Philpott, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    The Fusilier 1:32 scale WWI German Aviator Figure 1917 – 1918

Catalogue: #5416.

Sculptor: Steve Warrilow.

Price: £15.00

Availability: Direct from The Fusilier – http://www.thefusilier.net/

[IMG]

Forward.

I bet I know what some of you are thinking, ‘not another WWI German aviator figure’. Would I be right? Well if I am right all I ask is you stick with it because there is always something to gain.
    For instance, The Fusilier does produce aviator figures from nations other than German and British subjects as you will discover from the links to the website I have included at the end. They also produce figures and busts in scales other than 1:32, and they also produce a fine and wonderful selection of Great War subjects other than aviators.

However it is a German Aviator we look at today and while 1:32 aircraft manufacturers are gradually releasing aircraft from differing nations there is still a heavy emphasis on German machines so it stands to reason figure companies will follow suit. Let’s take a closer look ………..
    [IMG]

Introduction.

Steve Warrilow is the inspiration and proprietor behind the Fusilier brand. A passion for Great War subjects he produces figures, busts and diorama bases in 1:24, 1:12, 1:32, and 1:48 scales covering a diverse range of nations as the catalogue grows. In the past Steve has produced figures for the likes of Wingnut Wings, Zoukei Mura and Wings Cockpit Figures. A fine sculptor and photographer I strongly recommend visiting both the sites Steve runs. To find out more please be sure to follow the links to website and Facebook pages I have included at the end.

First Impressions.

With regards to the boxing and packaging I like the purposefulness and appearance that’s been adopted here, practical above all else but also pleasing and helpful in its presentation. The box is made of a durable semi translucent tough plastic and has a lift of lid. It does a very adequate job of protecting the contents and has the added bonus of making a great little storage box once finished with.

Inside and the contents are further protected by means of the clear plastic re-sealable bag which the two parts come packed in. The inside of the lift off lid has a card insert that carries the company name and a graphic of a WWI figure on the front while the two ends give full details of the company contact and website details, I particularly liked this idea as it acts much like a business card for future reference.

[IMG]

Under the bag that holds the figure pieces are two more insets, the first gives information on the recommended colours required to paint the figure and the second is a black and white photo printed on a high gloss finish paper depicting the assembled figure.

Again I thought both were nice touches with the paint guide being most helpful. Very few of the similar companies out there offer this and its down to the buyer to do all the homework. Hard to see where any of these areas could be improved upon so a well-deserved 10/10 for first impressions.

The Figure.

Just the two parts consisting of main body and separate head. Cast in light grey resin there is the usual amounts of flash and mould seams to deal with that you would expect of such a figure. For this review, to enable me to pose the figure standing I removed the very small casting pins from the bottom of the feet The resin is a nice consistency to work with being neither to soft or brittle. I found one small air hole on the rear of the right leg, nothing that can’t very easily be dealt with.

Head

[IMG]

Just one small casting lug to remove and clean at the neck which I did for the benefit of this review to check for test fitting to the main body. The fitting was excellent and held without glue as you will see in the next section. Nicely sculpted with good expression and detail in the facial features the figure wears a standard leather aviators fur lined hat which is equally well defined.

Main body

[IMG]

Posed with hands in pockets looking deep in thought the figure wears the standard two piece leather flying suit that was fur lined for warmth at high altitude. The trousers show good detail where they overlap with the buttons and belt, around the back fur can be seen to good effect.

[IMG]

The top part of the suit shows a similar level to detail, the buttons and shoulder epaulets looking particularly good. Really noticeable is the long scarf draped around the neck and running down the front and back, a great addition that really adds interest.

[IMG]

The full length fug boots look brilliant, again fur lined with fur collar at the tops with tightening straps just below that there is plenty of good detail on show.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Synopsis.

A nice representation of this German Aviator that would be well suited to any number of scenarios, no reason he could not be posed purely on his own either. I like the whole package, especially the inclusion of the painting guide and I would say the price point is bang on.

With German Aircraft being so popular and manufacturers releasing kits in every increasing numbers there is always going to be a need for new figures to pose with them, this offering fulfils that need nicely and on this occasion I feel a recommended award is appropriate to deliver.

My sincere thanks to Steve at The Fusilier for this review sample and the opportunity. For more information on other items within their range please follow the links I have included below for the company website and Facebook page.

Martin Philpott.

The Fusilier Media Sites:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/161533950723102/
    CAT of BORDO, Jaybo, yeo_64 and 3 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin,

Great review I like Steves stuff full of character and good details wearing the clothing as it was in combat .

The figure shows nice sculpting and no doubt will be popular .

Thanks for the reviews ....I will be back!! ...after the house move tommorow .and BT get things sorted right!

Nap
    Martin Philpott likes this.
  3. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Cheers Kevin, all the best for the house move mate, at least the weather will be on your side ;-) And on the bright side only another week till Poole yeahhhhhh.

Martin.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fuslier Steve does some nice stuff.
  5. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Fusilier, both "old" and now new incarnation(s), produces excellent figures. This is only one of many examples.
  6. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I like him!
  7. CAT of BORDO Member

France
    If there is a Man, and there is a Man, who know the " Complex " Subject of Clothes and uniforms of World War , One and Two, of Pilots, Poors Boys in the "Hell's trenches", this Man is Steve !
    Oh, ö, ô Steve !!! Made us another Pilots, Aces, Crew and Soldiers , in '32th, Please !!!!!! We Love !:p
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Almost a one piece casting
    No big blob of resin to be cut off with a saw !
    And with painting instructions
    At a decent price for a 1/32

Fusilier be praised
    Redcap and Martin Philpott like this.