1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Frozen Chosin SBS

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by harrytheheid, Nov 19, 2022.

1. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Would you show more pictures of the jeeps now you fixed the snow on the hoods?
  2. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    New photos coming up in due course once I get everything set up out in our conservatory -- cos I get the most natural light out there.
    Cheers
    H
  3. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  4. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

24 to 25 November 2022
    Having spent the past couple of days repairing a few figures and getting close to finishing the additional characters, I decided to look at the options for where they should be located on the diorama base. The protective plastic sheet I use on the worktable was badly in need of a clean by now, so it came off for a good scrub with warm soapy water and while it was drying out the diorama was set up on one of my rotary display tables while I fixed the figures in place and shot a few update photos.
    01.jpg

01a.jpg

02.jpg

The ANGLICO team are obviously calling in an air strike. I guess no-one told them William Holden is still on R&R in Tokyo with Grace and the kids...;)
    Yup, I intend to re-watch "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" later tonight...:D
    One thing's certain sure though -- I'll get REAL TOKYO if I happen to get paint, or far worse -- get superglue onto that unprotected table top. So easy does it Tonto.
    Meanwhile, the Convoy Manager got his head changed and is now wearing a Royal Marines beret. He's also changed his weapon out for an AK47.
    03.jpg

The N. Koreans were then blended into the groundwork. Unfortunately, I was being so careful not to spill anything on the table that I goofed big-time and accidentally spilled a fair old amount of fresh snow onto the frozen pond instead, (which now looks like a frozen stream -- Doh!)...:mad:
    Question: Why didn't I spread some old newspapers on the table after removing the protective plastic sheet?
    Answer: Never thought of it until after I screwed up.
    :(
    I've left the snow where it is for the time being while I work out how I'm going to remove the excess. Reckon I can suck most of it up using a miniature computer keyboard vacuum tool and then use damp tissues to clean off the residue.
    We . Shall . See.

Anyhoo, looks like one of the dead N. Koreans was faking it while trying to remain hidden behind Frosty The Snowman and is about to get his.
    04.jpg

However Nurse Karen, backed up by Margaret "Hot Hips" O'Hooligan, starts spouting off about the Geneva Convention and demands to see the Manager of this shit-show.
    (My Gawd, the lame cracks are coming thick and fast tonight).

So Captain Gulliver Troy, or "Captain Blighty" as the Yanks call him, takes a wander over to sort this latest problem out-- while wondering how come a MASH Unit ended up this far north -- and in HIS convoy?.
    It's a mystery.
    PS. A gold star goes to anyone who can ID the TV series, now on its 3rd Season, that features Captain Gulliver Troy, who's colloquially known as "Captain Blighty" in the show.
    05.jpg

Here's the main reason I take so many photos while working on these wee projects. I would never otherwise have spotted the bent AK47 barrel. It'll get fixed tomorrow.
    I also didn't notice that mold line on his left arm when I prepped the figure -- probably thought it was a jacket seam.
    06.jpg

I'm a lot happier with the vehicles now that I've attended to all the wheels. In fact, the revamped diorama is getting really close to finished now. Just a few things still to be sorted out -- but nothing major -- I think.
    07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED
    oldtrousers likes this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Great work ...Harry the heid comes out of hiding.......

Wayne
  6. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    FINISHED...:)

26 November-2022
    01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

6.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

So am I happy with the upgraded diorama?
    You betcha...:cool:

All SBS/WIP photos were taken with the main camera on my Oppo R17Pro Phone.

FINAL SHOTS
    Camera: Nikon D5600
    Lens: Nikon AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
    Mode: Aperture Priority with f/Stop set to 22
    Focus Mode: Set to Manual
    Exposure Comp: Set to zero
    White Balance: Set to Auto
    Maximum ISO: Set to 800
    Picture Control: Set to Standard

Next project?
    Dunno, but I have two Ancient Greek, (and a Greek Mythology), dioramas at various stages of completion, plus a winter Roman scene just started.
    But now I've got the scale modelling Mojo flowing again -- I might just re-visit my old Hurtgen Forest flight of fancy again and carry out much the same upgrade exercise as I've just finished on "The Frozen Chosin".

I tell ya, war, children,
    It's just a shot away, it's just a shot away, etc., etc.
    Fig 4.JPG

Fig 1.JPG

Fig 3.JPG

But first of all -- I have a new MP4 slideshow to put together and post up on my YouTube channel. Got the Intro video clip and the Audio files sorted out already...although I'm still ho-humming over an old Ronnie Spector track I'd like to try and squeeze into the show...:love:

Cheers
    H
    Old Pete and oldtrousers like this.
  7. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well....I've admitted to myself that I screwed up big-time on the colors of the USMC uniforms, especially the cold-weather parka overcoats. The sources I had looked at suggested the basic colors were a dark olive drab tending toward grey tones, but it looks like I made the grey tones far too prominent, plus the overcoats ought to be a lot lighter olive drab.
    I've corrected some of these mistakes, but most figures in the vehicles are impossible to get to without causing damage to the models.
    DSC_2519.JPG

It's a bummer, but I'll just have to put it down to experience and resolve to do better next time.
    Of course there's a pretty easy way to solve the problem and make the entire diorama look 99% historically accurate....:rolleyes:....:cool:
    09. B&W 07-Dec-2022.jpg

10. B&W 07-Dec-2022.jpg

11. B&W 07-Dec-2022.jpg

12. B&W 07-Dec-2022.jpg
    blaster, Ferris and oldtrousers like this.