The Fort Pitt Museum Part 2

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by garyjd, Sep 2, 2019.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    [IMG]
    The map shows the layout of the museum galleries of the Fort Pitt Museum.
    This map was featured on the inside back cover of the book Point of Empire:
    Conflict at the Forks of the Ohio By Charles Morse Stotz, Architect of the park
    and museum. Stotz also designed the museum's exhibits.
    In 2006 the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, Pa hosted a special exhibit to celebrate the 250th Anniversary of the French & Indian War. The exhibit was called "A Clash of Empires", and would feature a number of original artifacts relating to the conflict that were on loan from a number of collections. One of the highlights would be 9 lifelike figures fabricated by Historical Illustrator Gerry Embleton. Since the exhibit would be traveling to other museums in Canada and the United States this became a "must see" before it left the History Center to begin it's one year tour of other museums. Since we were in Pittsburgh to see this exhibit It would only take minutes to get to the Fort Pitt Museum at Point State Park. It had been at least 25 years since I had been there last so I was pretty excited to see those exhibits that had inspired me. Like before upon entering the museum the visitor was greeted by that impressive model of Fort Pitt. Here is where changes to the museum became obvious. With the exception of the Trader's cabin almost nothing remained of the older displays, they were now gone. In it's place were what appeared to be temporary exhibits along with walls that closed off what was once the old museum gallery. In 2004 a second floor was added to not only show newer displays but protect the museum from Mother Nature. The museum has had it's share of dealing with a flood prone Point State Park. The museum flood twice, once in 1972, which saw the museum closed for two years. The other was the flood of 1996/97. In 2009, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission closed the Museum to help reduce the state’s budget deficit. The museum would reopen in 2010 with the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania (Heinz History Center) assuming operations under contract with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Though I did not ask, what had become of those older displays now replaced with "modern" displays occupied my thoughts. It would be another 13 years before the fate of all those dioramas and models would come to light.

Continue reading...