1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Fort Pitt Museum Displays, Part 5 or "The Trader."

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by garyjd, Apr 30, 2020.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Plans were made to make the trip to see and pick up the pieces that had been salvaged from the Fort Pitt Museum remodel. In addition to seeing all of the individual figures one of the more exciting aspects of this was also having the opportunity to see the only diorama that had made it through the remodel intact. When the Fort Pitt Museum was opened, The museum's architect, Charles M. Stotz authored a booklet about the museum and it's exhibits. In this booklet were paragraph descriptions of every exhibit contained in the museum. One of these exhibits that caught my attention as a youth was titled "The Trader". This exhibit contained a large scale model of a trader on horseback navigating his pack train over a snow covered ridge. The booklet has a black and white photograph of the exhibit along with a description of the traders that bartered with the natives of the area. When making the plans to see the figures I inquired if the "trader" was one of the pieces that were saved. While the individual I talked with did not have it, they did however know who had it, and would contact them to see if it were possible to come and see it. Within a few phone calls my plans for seeing all of these pieces were complete. After arriving at the first location three boxes of figures and accessories were looked over. While some of the figures had varying amounts of damage it was not something that could not be fixed. After loading these into my car the trip was then made to another location to look at "The Trader". Upon seeing the diorama that was complete it was exactly as I had remembered it except never having the chance to see it this close up. The downside was that it definitely showed it's age and would require some work to make it look brand new. Worse yet is a 68" long diorama will not fit into a 2012 Hyundai. Plans would have to be made to make the trip again with a slightly larger vehicle.

[IMG]
    The cover from The Point of Empire written by Charles M. Stotz. The booklet tells the story of the
    museum and all of the exhibits designed by Stotz and constructed by Holiday Displays.

[IMG]
    The Trader diorama and the display that it was a part.

Continue reading...