1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Fort Pitt Museum Displays, Part 4 or "Out with the old in with the new"

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by garyjd, Apr 22, 2020.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Do I know you? Was the response to my inquiry about the photographs of two figures that made up part of a diorama depicting the surrender of Fort Necessity in 1754, that made up one of a number of similar displays at the Fort Pitt Museum. Further messages and then a few phone calls with this individual centered around my interest in the dioramas the museum displayed and how they had influenced my interest in history and art. My curiosity as to what happened to the dioramas and other displays was about to be revealed. When the Heinz History Center took over plans were in the works to remodel the museum and construct new displays. While I thought the story of Fort Pitt was well told, the displays were in need of an upgrade. To what extent if any would the dioramas be incorporated in with the new was a different story. As stated earlier the identities of the individual(s) that have or had a connection to the museum will be kept private. Unfortunately the new displays make very minimal use of the current displays, mostly of which were several dioramas. As it turned out only three (3) dioramas/models would be part of the remodel. The first was the large model of Fort Pitt that visitors we see upon entering the museum. The others were a model of Fort Duquesne, and a diorama of the taking of Fort Prince George at the point. Until I had found out what had become of the Fort Pitt dioramas I always pictured them properly put away in storage, not to be seen again by the viewing public. Sadly only my latter assumption would turn out to be true. When the museum was remodeled everything was disassembled, mostly the walls behind which were the dioramas. These were then disposed of including all of the dioramas and models except for the three fort models. My understanding is all of them were demolished and were not allowed to be saved. Fortunately a number individual pieces were rescued from the dumpster where all the building materials were being thrown. While most of these pieces were destroyed, one of the dioramas in it's entirety survived. In addition to this half or more of the figures of a second and third diorama survived, though a few of the figures sustained some damage. A small number of accessories and 54mm or 1/32 figures from other dioramas. Arrangements were made to see the pieces where I expressed an interest in restoring the figures to reflect their appearance the day they were put on display in 1969.

Continue reading...
    Marne Rock Star likes this.
  2. Marne Rock Star Active Member

I grew up in Pittsburgh and I recall as a kid visiting the museum and blockhouse on a field trip. Those dioramas grabbed me, and I loved the fort diorama in the middle of the lobby. I never did return to the museum and now I wish I had. It is very interesting what you found out about the models. Last year, I visited the Soldiers and Sailors Hall in Oakland (Pittsburgh) and they had some amazing large scale models, and well done Civil War displays. I was there for a special event, so I got to meet some important museum folks, who took me behind the scenes to see what they had in storage. Sometimes I work with US Army museums on their displays. I love museums!!
    Bob