1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The first things I've painted on 30 years.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Ian Pen, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Ian Pen PlanetFigure Supporter

Ukraine
    These are the first two things I have painted in nearly thirty years, be kind, please.

IMG_20230724_150931.jpg IMG_20230724_151004.jpg

IMG_20230724_150816.jpg IMG_20230724_150836.jpg
    Oda, marco14, Blind Pew and 5 others like this.
  2. Rob Well-Known Member

Spain
    Unfortunately your camera has focused on the pattern in the wallpaper not the figure. Put a sheet of plain grey or black card behind the figures. Colour choices look good, I assume oils from the shine?
    How big is the Jack Sparrow bust? He looks huge.
    Oda and Ian Pen like this.
  3. Ian Pen PlanetFigure Supporter

Ukraine
    I'll take some more photos, you were not supposed to notice to take you away from my painting. Yes, in oils. I'm waiting for them to dry so I can varnish them to reduce the shine.

Jack Sparrow is 150mm, got him six or seven years ago. I cannot remember where though. It may have either been my friend or eBay.
    Oda likes this.
  4. Ian Pen PlanetFigure Supporter

Ukraine
    Changed the photos, just my phone camera is pants!
    Oda likes this.
  5. Rob Well-Known Member

Spain
    The focus is better now. Nice big images so you can make them way oversized and look for errors and work out how to go forward. I am not an oiler so can't advise on technique but you have a good base to start from so it is a matter of refining what is there and working in the shades and highlights.

The Mongol is a nice little bust and certainly the "easier" of the pieces, being smaller and more cluttered neatness and definition are going to be key with him. Cap'n Jack is a monster and a brave piece to take on as a first. The large areas of colour and the face are going to test your blending, not to mention the white shirt. There are plenty of masterful oil painters on here so hopefully someone will point you in the right direction regarding techniques.

I would recommend using the search function on here, although a lot of the threads are old and many of the painters no longer frequent the site there is a lot of information to be found.
    Oda, Nap and Ian Pen like this.
  6. Ian Pen PlanetFigure Supporter

Ukraine
    Thanks Rob, I suppose that is the point of putting them out there. I have got so far and if it was acrylics, I would be all over them. Oils are a new concept to me, getting the consistancy of the paint has been a real learning curve and not one I have always got right.

The white shirt is a pig, it is blended in ivory, but it does not show through well because of the picture quality. I put my SLR away due to the war here, as I had to move for 8 months. I will go and get it from storage and take some better photos. I thank you for your support and help, that is why I joined and upto now have not regretted one second of being here with people striving for the same as me.
    Nap likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ian

WELL DONE on this ...you certainly didn't go for the easiest of pieces

Might I suggest a wash over the armour

It's a learning curve for all painters every time we pic a brush up

There are lots of threads on PF including in Painting Techniques forum a section on Oils ....and Acrylics

Always happy to help

Most importantly...HAVE FUN

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. Ian Pen PlanetFigure Supporter

Ukraine
    Hi, I quite liked the armour to pop! However, you could be right.
    Oda likes this.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one, Ian. You could've picked easier stuff! Bold choices as there's nowhere to hide with these. Well done.
  10. marco14 Well-Known Member

Belgium
    that is absolute very nice done for the first time,it can always be better ;)
    im always struggling with the faces so this is very good (y)

Mario
    Ian Pen and Oda like this.