1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 'The End',Gumrak Airfield,Stalingrad

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Feb 5, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just finished my latest project which is a bust from STORMTROOPERS in the UK and sculpted by Stuart Hale,the bust is titled FROZEN - and the product code is PPST 03 and depicts a soldier during the winter months in Russia in 1942/43.
    The bust is produced in resin and there was minimal clean up required in assembling the piece.
    I decided early on before construction what i wanted to achieve with this bust and i wanted to add some wear to the greatcoat,this would include some tear's on the coat itself which i produced by applying some milliput to the desired area's and then creating the tear with a sharp scalpel blade to each area.
    I also wanted to create a feel of desperation and defeat in the figure,i recently read an article about the german 6th army in January 1943 at Gumrak Airfield where the injured german soilders wer'e being flown out by Junkers transport planes while under fire from the approaching russians,this figure which i had put by for another day fitted the bill perfectly,i would portray him as having an eye wound and being part of the evacuating germans,the bandage i made also with milliput and sculpted onto the figure accordingly,i was now happy to begin the painting process,as with some of my other pieces i have has some constructive critisism in the past over weathering my figures,i was determined not to shy away with this piece,if i wanted the result i was hoping for i would have to weather the figure to the extreme to portray this poor unfortunate individual in all his entirity and surroundings.
    The figure was undercoated with acylics and final painting was completed with oils.
    I did'nt use any snow products on the figure at all,all the snow effects wer'e applied with an old brush using titanium white oil paint applied sparingly.
    The blood on the hood and bandages was created using games workshop inks.
    I would like to say i would thourgly recomend this piece to anyone interested in the german army WW2,it's a lovely piece of sculpting by Mr Hale and i got a great deal of pleasure painting it.
    All comments and critisim most welcome,Happy Painting,Brian :)

Attached Files:

2. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like what you did to this :)

Thanks for sharing

Mark
  3. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Excellent piece of work Brian.You have captured so many different elements and emotions.The feeling of freezing cold,pain,fatigue just jump out at you.Outstanding.(y)

Regards,John
    AntiJihadistCrusader likes this.
  4. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Beautiful piece of work, very evocative. About the only thing I would have considered adding is a wound tag around his neck, which was required to be evacuated. I'm guessing to a wounded German soldier in that situation, it would be more valuable than just about anything. It would just add that last little touch. Great work
    Cheers
    Jason
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Brian, you managed to show us the suffering and misery of the 6th Army in Stalingrad.
    Well done!(y)
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well done mod to this bust, you've captured the defeat excellently (y)
  7. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work. A really work of art that portrays cold and misery so well.......
  8. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    WOW!!!!! You Rock.

Todd
  9. e-junkie Member

United-States
    One of the best picture I've ever seen to depict Staligrad hell. This guy shows us all the pain suffered untill then and let us guess what will be the fate of the prisoners after their capture by the soviets. Great paint job and great theme. Congrats!
    e-j
  10. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Very impressive! This piece says it all. Makes you realise the awfull periode people had to endure.
  11. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice work, Brian! Excellent changes you've made, my friend!
    Eddy
  12. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Absolutely love it Brian. Very lifelike painting.Impressive!
  13. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very well done mate ! i love what you have done with him , you can feel his pain .
    Sam
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Brian,
    Can only echo the guys before me.
    Excellent work.

Marc
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Brilliant work, very special!
    I'm not sure if it's the pictures or the painting, but you have achieved a very attractive 'faded colour look' that looks very appropriate. Most of the colour would have been sucked out of the guys waiting at that airfield...

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    WOW !!!!, that is superb Brian. Love what you have done with this bust. You've really captured the look and feel of desperation and determination of the 6th army at stalingrad.

Superb

Stuart
  17. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Love it! This answers a thousand questions about fabric depiction, weathering, and just how far figure painters can push the limits.
  18. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody well done. Excellent painiting.
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    WOW! Superb!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love the additions Brian, he doesn't look happy.
    Carl.