1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed The Earl of Duke Street

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Tony, this and a few other "trinkets" will keep the memories fresh.

Cheers Mark. We'll have to have a meeting of the "Alberta Model Soldier Society" when I get back. Nice comment about the hockey :D...Hockey here is a game played on a field by people waving a curved club around, and you're not even allowed to fight!!

Thanks Brian. I can put the ball in the back of the net with my right foot as well ;)
  2. Andyfettes Active Member

United-States
    Nice one even got him drinking the Tenants extra lol
  3. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Andy, it's the details that count the most in this hobby eh?
  4. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant, ya beauty
    Tom
  5. Michaelg Member

Canada
    "See You Jimmy"!
  6. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Michael and Tom, nice of you guys to have a wee look and leave a comment. I appreciate it.
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Great civilian figure...a nice cultural touch and departure from the "war guys".
    I guess this is an American old Rock 'n Roll thing, but when I read the thread title, I thought it was a typo for "the Duke of Earl"...does any body else remember the Gene Chandler song?
    A huge hit in the states at one time...
  8. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Phil. I don't normally do civilian figures, but I thought it would be a fun change of pace to do this guy. I do indeed remember the classic song. To give you a little insight, Duke street is one of the major streets in Glasgow that happens to be in the neighborhood of Celtic Park Football (soccer) stadium , home of Glasgow Celtic. It also happens to be the address of the Louden Tavern, one the most famous Ranger supporters pubs. So things can get interesting on game day, although I haven't personally felt unsafe or threatened when I saw the two teams play each other. There's WAY more to it than can be written up in a short forum post. If you'd like to learn more about this part of Glasgow culture, just google "Glasgow Old Firm" games or "the Auld Firm".
  9. macbrayne New Member

Scotland
    Earl of Duke St

Gon yersel big man, by the way.

I'm sure I locked this punter up when I was in the polis a few years back!!

Great to see non-military stuff like this and as a Glaswegian abroad it pushed my buttons.

I'm thinking of a 120mm Oor Wullie on his bucket as a future project.

Suggestion for a title "Mair bevvy" or that well known glaswegian phrase "Awayegoyamugye"

Stuart
  10. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Lol Stuart, glad I could rekindle a few fond memories from home for you. I'm just going to consult my Glaswegian to English dictionary for the rest of your comments. Cheers pal.
  11. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States

Thanks M8, I was wondering what some of it was about reading the posts that followed your first one; but I was born in the East End , so it wasn't all, uh, Greek to me, let's say. I do have cousins that support the local London teams and have been rowdy in the past, I think (I'm sure, actually).
    This work you've done is very interesting...I apppreciate the civilian type figures very much, and this is just a great character. Innovative. I've always enjoyed doing them myself as a departure.
  12. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Lovely evocative piece of Glasgow -thanks for sharing - I really love what you have done

Ian
  13. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ian, glad you like it:) Thanks again Phil, appreciate the feedback as well.
  14. Andyfettes Active Member

United-States
    Maybe you could knock up a quick Millwall West Ham vignette next LOL
  15. macbrayne New Member

Scotland
    Millwall vignette

You will need plenty of flouro paint to do the Ambulance personnel vests though LOL
  16. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States

Oh this sounds very familiar now....
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great piece of work Glenn!

Cheers,
    Marcel.