1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Day That Shook The World

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Feb 8, 2004.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Bob,AWESOME beginning to your diorama (y) Thanks for posting shots of the initial stages.Looking forward to further updates on the project.Do keep me posted ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob,

It has the looks of another nice dio. (y) Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Joe
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I have a couple of new pics of Gavrilo pushing a Bosnian soldier and bystander out of the way as he lunges to shoot the Archduke.

Attached Files:

4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Another shot.

Attached Files:

5. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Very fluid animation, Bob!
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Back view.

Attached Files:

7. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I really spent a lot of time on the posing to give a real sense of drama. As I am a novice sculptor it is easy for me to visualize in 2D as an illustrator but extremely difficult to render in three dimensions. Especially with all of the things that need to be considered: anatomy, clothing, balance, etc. Since I have no other reference except what is in my mind's eye it is even more challenging.
  8. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Bob, you've certainly given those 3 a sense of drama - but if I may say, I think there's a problem with Gavrilo's anatomy; it looks to me like his shoulders are too low and possibly (as John noted earlier) the forearms are too long.
    While I'm at it, your sculpting shows great promise but it's a trifle 'soft'. I wonder if you're doing the bulk of the work whilst the putty is still soft? If so, I think your work would benefit from you employing more carving. For example, if you slice through soft putty, there is a tendency for the edge to 'roll' slightly, whereas if you were to carve an edge away, you'd get a much sharper edge.
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Hmmm, you are probably right about Gavrilo. I will shorten his arms now that you mention it. As to the other point I have just started trying carving and am at a little disadvantage as to not having a sufficient array of files. I ordered another set and some rasps. The edges of the cloting would definitely benefit from some carving to crisp it up a bit.

I wonder if I pull Gavrilo's arms out maybe I can raise the shoulders a tad and shorten them at the same time. Should be minor surgery (famous last words). I would hate to destory the general pose as it is exactly as I envisioned it albeit without the anatomy deficiency.
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Incidentally if you notice the bottom of the soldier's tunic it is cut off - ergo pretty crisp whereas the Turkish bystander is not. I can trim that down similarly.

Any other pointers, Big Cheese?
  11. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Bob, all you need are #11 blades - either X-Acto or Swann Morton. Some abrasive paper comes in handy too, but I really don't think there's a need for files.

I think Gavrilo would benefit from having his arms raised a tad, and more bulk across the top of his shoulders - but the final call is yours :)
    Let's hear what other people think....
  12. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely! Either trim the bystander's tunic as it stands (thereby shortening it), or add some putty around the bottom edge, let harden, and trim. The back view of the bystander's tunic shows the classic 'rolling' of wet putty - the knife cuts the putty but, at the same time, pushes it out of shape.
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Bob, (y) (y) job on the 3 figures ! I have to agree with Jon on the appearence of the putty;I have the same problem myself(as kindly pointed out by Alan Ball),too impatient to get the clothing done I suppose :( Anyhow,I'll be looking forward to more updates on your end.Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I just did a quick adjustment in Photoshop and here is a side by side of before and after. You guys are right it is better.

Attached Files:

15. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yep, that's better! It has the bonus of also bringing the gun's line of sight up to Gavrilo's line of sight - making it look more like he's aiming the gun, rather than just pointing it vaguely in the direction of Mr & Mrs Ferdinand.
    Splendid! Are you going to make the change in 3d now?
  16. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Yep.
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    (y) Well done Bob.
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Very nice. The great part about this site is being put into play, and that is the feedback you're getting. It's really great watching your piece as well as others come together..~Gary
  19. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I agree, Gary. Nothing like advice from pros for newbie sculptors like me.
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Bob,

Looks great so far! I also agree on the arm and shoulders, it is so much easier to see now after you did the Photo Shop editing, PS is so great for things like this, as a tool to visualize changes. Looking forward to your next udates!