1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Day That Shook The World

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Feb 8, 2004.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Gary. I too like the lighting effect. I tried to make it look like a 3D painting.

Kenneth, it is getting near the end so final pics should be coming soon. I have to affix the lights permanently and close up the building. Then I need to do the street lamps, flags and the banner across the street and it is finished. I think.

Altogether, the project took six months from start to finish pretty much as I had expected.

The next project after this is the final part of this WWI trilogy and will depict a Belgian armored car chasing down two Uhlans.
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks for the update,Bob (y) :lol: ;looking forward to it ! Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I finished the electrical for the lights and assembled it into the building. Here are two shots showing that. The sign at the right hand side of the street says "Welcome to Sarajevo Archduke Ferdinand and Archduchess Sofia," in Serbo-Croatian.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    :eek: :eek: :eek: . Scheizen Bob, that shadowbox is perfect!
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You have done an awesome job Bob.............Beautiful work
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    John, thanks. Here is a close up of just the shadow box portion.

[IMG]
  7. Pete_H New Member

Bob,
    I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! I assume we'll see this in Chicago.
  8. Automata Member

United-States
    Very nice Bob. I can't wait to see it in person.

Barry
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    What can I say Bob! It is amazing, looking forward to see this one in the flesh!!
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I'm fixin' to bring it. By the way I will have to be on my good behavior - my old lady is coming with me ;)
  11. btavis Active Member

United-States
    BTW, I strongly recommend the use of cold cathode flourescents for this type of thing. They are so small and can be strung together in daisy chain (series) to get more illumination. Plus they last up to 20,000 + hours. They require power inverters though which is why the whole light assembly looks like a bomb. Sure glad I studied electronics. :)

The sky is a photo montage I created in Photoshop and had printed professionally on Durstan. That's the stuff they use for backlit displays at airports. Pretty flexible and the colors are quite vivid. I think the overall color scheme pretty much fits the way I envsioned it. I was worried the shadowbox lighting would not be strong enough to make good contrast but I think it works. My aim has been to make WWI colorful which seems to be atypical of most dioramas of the period.
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob,

Really a stunning piece of work. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Joe
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Another fantastic piece of miniature art. I feel your use of the cathode flourescents and Durstan for the background have advanced shadowbox "technology". Where can you find the Durstan? Where could one go to have a background printed up? Cost? Again great work.~Gary
  14. olly_usafsoc New Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! thats one great piece of art..... :eek: :)
  15. Hardy Guest

16. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Gary, the Durstan is made by a local (Dallas) commercial film development company called the Color Place. They do all kinds of pro photographic work. The Durstan is cheaper than a film positive at around $35. A film positive would have been around $125 and frankly for this you cannot tell the difference. The Durstan is a little more durable than a film positive and is a milky white material that diffuses light perfectly.

The cold cathods I got from a guy named Randy Neubert in California who's company is called VoodooFX. He sells a lot of lighting effects and is personally into Sci Fi models.
  17. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Bob,AWESOME WORK,my friend (y) (y) (y) !!! Thanks for posting it here for the enjoyment of us "mortals" ! Will it be shown at the World Figure Expo in Boston next year ? I hope to go there and see it in the "flesh".Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  18. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth, I might bring to World Expo. Depends on what else I have by then. It is going to Chicago and I should have the final pictures of it this weekend. I added a nice little touch on the side of the building of a teenager defacing a poster of the Archduke (adding horn rimmed glasses a goatee and devil horns). I think this gesture encapusalates the antipathy towards Austria (hence the assassination itself) that was present in Bosnia at the time.
  19. Wikinger New Member

Hello Bob!

This is a real stunning work. I just got aware of it. The idea and the lot of good sculpting is worth getting awards. Only one minor remark:
    The original vehicle is situated in the Military History Museum in Vienna and the base colour of the cabin is dark green, not red. I know this comes a little bit too late, but I think the colour is not the main aspect in this composition, as nobody will know it either (if we dont tell it somebody else ;) )
  20. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Bob-

That is just great. Thx for the SBS.

Keith