1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Day That Shook The World

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Feb 8, 2004.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    My next project is going to be a scene depicting the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie at Sarajevo on June 28, 1914 by Gavrilo Princip. While it is debatable as to whether or not one single event caused the outbreak of one of the most horrendous wars in history this incident is certainly considered pivotal.

There are several key points of research for this project. The first is the exact location. Here is a picture (red circle) of where the assassination took place:

Attached Files:

2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    The second piece of history is the car in which they were riding. It was a Graef and Stift Touring car of Austrian manufacture. Here is a side by side comparison of the actual car with a model of a 1911 Mercer. The basic dimsenions of both cars are very close and inspection will show some slight differences in styling. I will use this 1/32 model as the basis for conversion to a Graef and Stift.

Attached Files:

3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks like an interesting project Bob. Does the uniform the Archduke was wearing that day still survive?
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Yes, the tunic still exists as does the car. Fortunately there was a fairly accurate historical movie made in 1975 entitled The Day That Shook the World about the event. Here is a small image from the movie correctly portraying the clothing worn by the Archduke and his wife:

[IMG]
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Your project is looking good Bob.......Please keep us posted as you learn more about this event in history
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Bob!

Looks like another great diorama is born! Looking forward to follow you through this. Are you going to portray the seconds that the guy gets shot or what are your plans?
  7. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Since this event was pivotal to what happened later I feel that my interpretive tableau needs to symbolize that.

Consequently, I will take extreme liberties with reality to combine in one scene the assassination and a depiction of the actual war it created. I plan to do this by merging the street scene of the exact moment of the assassination with trench warfare showing how one event influenced the other. I am fixin' to do this in a stylized representation and as the project moves along you will better understand what I am talking about.
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Bob!

That will be great! Sounds very artistic and unique and I like the idea a lot! Gonna be neat to see the trench, how many figures are you planning on using for the trench part?
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Just enough.
  10. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Ambitious, and pushes the envelope. I love it!
  11. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Excellent project,Bob (y) (y) Wish I had the guts to do something similar Looking forward to the SBS in the days to come.Cheers Kenneth.
  12. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Bob, I look forward to watching your progress on this one. You have a very interesting idea in meshing the two scenes together. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Kreston
  13. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Bob, the car would have had a white hood which was folded back, and weren't the medals on the LEFT side of his chest? In the pic. that I have (minutes before the assasination) there's a row of ribbons and medals, and two cross-like medals on his left chest.

As for the deeper causes of the First world war: some of the seed was sown during the Franco-prussian conflict 44 years before ... but the Prussians (or Germans) had been on the rising since Waterloo and the final defeat of Napoleon. ... studying history is amazing isn't it. :lol:
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Johan, I think the picture of the Archduke is reversed. I believe in fact he was seated on the left side of the car with Sophie to his right so that would place the medals on his left breast of the tunic if the picture were flipped.

Here is the picture corrected:

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, I saw that program on the History Channel and it was very well done, part movie part documentary. I admire you for the grand projects you take on. I can't wait to see this one develope.~Gary
  16. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Tends to keep it interesting that way ;)
  17. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Well, I figure I am going to get a little muddy on this one
  18. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    This will be a great project and theme and I'm sure you will do an excellent job! (y)

Please keep us posted on your progress.

-jim cox
  19. Richard E New Member

Bob

Will be intersting to see how this one progresses, apparently Ferdinand was very supersticious and wore every kind of lucky charm about him (and still got shot!!!)

At what point are you depcting it ?, during or after ?

Richard
  20. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Not only lucky charms but he wore a bullet proof vest. Too bad he got shot in the neck.

The scene I will depict is the moment Gavrilo jumped off the curb firing into the car. So this would be "at the moment of," to be precise. Gavrilo was apparently a pretty good shot cause he killed both of them with just two shots.